Chunking Things

Friday, December 24, 2010

Bricorama


We knew there had to be one, it was just a matter of finding it. And we finally did. The store in Tunis what most closely resembles a Home Depot or Lowe's is Bricorama. This store is situated right next to Tunis City which is the biggest mall/shopping center in all of Tunis.

DH and I made a pilgrimage to Bricorama looking for curtain rods. We know we have some in our household goods, but I was sure that we didn't have enough long ones for the windows in our new living/dining areas. So, we went to find curtain rods. And we found them. Checked that off our list.

But we also took time to look around and see what else was available in this store. No surprise that there is a lot of 'flat pack' furniture that gives an IKEA-like analog for inexpensive storage items. There was also the largest selection of 'build it to suit' closet systems I've ever seen. Which makes sense, because there are NO closets in any of the older homes. Everyone uses wardrobes here.

What I wasn't expecting was the livestock.

Probably, it's safe to say that I never expect live animals. Although they did have three puppies for sale (wildly overpriced in my experience) they did have the most interesting birds for sale.

This guy was a good looking bird. I have no idea what kind... whether you eat him or turn him loose in your garden as a pet. There were four or five very pretty birds in the cages, but I can't say whether they were pheasants or what. They did have long tail feathers and they were not at all chicken-like.

Another interesting device that I didn't snap a photo of were the concrete cookers. They have giant (life-sized) animal sculptures of sheep and other four legged mammals. They stand in your garden looking decorative. But they have a surprise! A drawer slides out that you can fill with charcoal or wood and set ablaze for a barbecue. I had to laugh. If the cooking surface hadn't been so small, I would probably have purchased one just for the 'conversation piece' value. Next time I go to Bricorama, I'll try to get pictures.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

"I have no idea what kind... whether you eat him or turn him loose in your garden as a pet."

LOLOL! Only look at the living animals, Sandee. For the safety of all critters in Tunisia, don't buy. :)

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

It never ceases to surprise me how different things are over here... you'd think at some point I'd begin to expect the live animals... spw

Twisted Sister said...

Neat store! Have no clue what the bird is but I'd like it. Maybe not in the pool though.

Unknown said...

Meg,

Turns out all the birds (and I didn't take pictures of all of them) were pheasants. I found out today when I went back to the store with a Tunisian in tow. spw