Chunking Things

Thursday, December 9, 2010

What we use verbal language for...

Today I did a risky thing. I walked into a salon without speaking the language, pointed at my hair and trusted them to make me look okay.

The first time I walked into the salon, I manged to indicate an updo for the USMC Ball and got a very nice hairstyle. So this time, I made snip snip motions with my fingers at my bangs.

Then I sat down and trusted them to make me look good.

I ended up with a haircut that I would not have asked for on my own. I think it's probably a little more 'fashion forward' than I usually get. The jury is out about whether or not it will look good when I'm the one blowing it dry...

But I feel kind of empowered really. I faced a 'what's the worst that can happen' kind of situation. Don't they always say, "what's the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut? About two weeks!" I figured that the worst that could happen is something that would only last a short time.

So I walked in, made the crazy hand motions and forgot the outcome. Just trusted.

I guess that non-verbal language works as well as the vocal type. I got the hair cut. I don't look too wild. And none of us really understood each other.

--Sandee Wagner

10 comments:

Emmylee said...

LOL, I want to SSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

*hugs*

Zack and Kimmee said...

Yes, picture please!

Marilyn said...

Me, too, on the pictures.

My hair stylists have always loved me because I let them do whatever they want and never freak. I learned when I was a teenager and my hair turned iridescent green (color plus chemicals in a pool) and again when the girl left the perm on too long and it fell out in clumps: it always grows out again.

Unknown said...

Here you go, one front shot, one shot from the back. And this is after I've showered, washed my hair and styled it myself... spw

TAM said...

Lover-lee... I like it.

Zack and Kimmee said...

I think it's GREAT!!!!

Marilyn said...

Very nice!

Unknown said...

It turned out pretty good. He shredded a bunch of my hair off my head. Instead of all one length, it's layered so there's a lot less of it. spw

KeithF said...

Are you trying to learn any Arabic or French while you're there, Sandee? I tried to learn some Thai when I lived in Thailand, after 3 months of speaking only English, and was amazed to find how much of a bubble I had been living in before, just after knowing a few words.

Unknown said...

Keith,

I know about three words of Arabic, and I'm working my way through Rosetta Stone's French lessons. If I have to tell someone their apple is green or their bicycle is yellow, I'm in! spw