Chunking Things

Monday, December 13, 2010

Shopping Foray with CLO

At the American Embassy in Tunis, they have Community Liaison Officers (CLO) whose jobs it is to make sure the personnel stationed here have fun outings and get exposure to the community. I don't know if that's in their actual job descriptions, but that's how they explained it to me.

One of the CLOs said that when folks have an idea for a trip, they email her and she sees if others are interested in the same outing, then she sets it up.

Today was a shopping trip. I didn't even ask where they were going shopping, I just said, "Yes!" There were three stops: a leather goods store; a jewelry store; and a small network of artisans who are all co-located in an area the folks call DenDen.

First stop was the leather goods store called Hayet Leather. There were shelves all around the showroom with display pieces. Purses, wallets, belts, backpacks and briefcases. There were even some home decor items like trays, boxes and umbrella stands. All the new items were displayed in an array of fun colors. You could take them down, open them up and examine every bit of them. If you decided you wanted an item, this little man went back into the back and got you a nice clean NEW one that hadn't been handled. All the embassy personnel were convinced that a lot of this leatherwork is shipped to Italy and sold by the designers there.

The prices were not 'rock bottom' but were very reasonable for the quality of the goods offered for sale. I could have spent a BUNCH of money. Quite a few of the women were buying stuff by the handful to take home to the states as Christmas gifts. It was fun to go with a group who helped spend your money--co-dependent shopping!

Our next stop was a local jewelry store called Tunisie Corail. And yes, if you are concerned about the plight of corral, you should not read any further. Apparently, it's not protected here in Tunisia. There was a lot of corral jewelry and beads. The woman who owned the shop made all the jewelry. She's very popular with the embassy crowd because if you want something a little different from something she's displayed... she'll custom make anything to your requirements.
She had a lot of very nice stones and beads. There were even some that I didn't recognize. There were some dark blue sandstone beads that were stunning. I've seen the orangish colored sandstone, which sparkles nicely, but the dark blue was exceptionally pretty. Only the fact that I don't wear navy blue (or much blue at all, come to think of it) kept me from leaving that shop with a necklace with matching earrings. Now that I think on it, it might have been nicer for Bert if I came home with something like that and just asked him to wrap it up for me for Christmas!

Our last stop of the day was a low building with lots of interconnected shops where different artisans worked. DenDen is what my friends called it, but I think that might be a nickname, nothing on any signage appeared to mirror that name. All the individual artists were there working and making their goods, and had shop space to sell them. I saw basket makers hand bending loops of cane, I saw metal workers hammering bowls and trays. I saw a lady hand weaving a traditional Tunisian rug. It was truly astounding. My favorite shop was a mosaic shop where guys were creating mosaic art and table tops from tiny squares of marble. Truly fascinating.

It was a fun shopping trip. I think the CLOs find more personnel interested in shopping when there is a gift giving occasion and the family members need to get out and shop. They announced that next Monday's trip will be downtown to the Medina and they promised a 'secret tour' of the real Medina. I can't wait.

--Sandee Wagner

3 comments:

Emmylee said...

OH, how fun! The jewelry looks and sounds gorgeous :-)

Unknown said...

Emm,

You would have spent HOURS looking at the jewelry... it was right up your alley! I'm sure you would have found a way to talk me into a purse or two also. In fact, as I stood there clutching a giant SHINY bronze tote bag, all I needed was someone saying, "go ahead, you're worth it!"

Emmylee said...

Well, you ARE!!