Chunking Things

Monday, July 12, 2010

DeMilitarized Zone

We are going to be moving soon and I'm focused on decluttering the house. One of the more interesting aspects to moving to a third world country is having all your stuff tossed by customs inspectors. We've been warned about things NOT to try and take into the country.

My husband was advised not to take any of his military gear or memorabilia into this country. Better that they think him a humble oilfield worker than a crazed Western soldier. Culling out the military stuff is harder than it sounds.

First, DH spent 31 years in the USMC. 15 active duty as a helicopter pilot and 16 as a reservist. Each unit you leave gives you a plaque or gift, most are unit themed. Then there are the pictures of helicopters, flight crews and ships. When you start looking for military stuff, you find it everywhere.

I went to U-Haul and bought some wardrobe boxes. Then I went through all the closets and pulled out all the uniforms and gear. It filled two wardrobes. I stripped all the pictures off the "I love me" wall/hallway and wrapped them in bubble wrap. For the uninitiated, the "I love me" wall is a traditional military man's display of all the afore mentioned plaques and awards....

We took all the gear and pictures and stored them in the attic at my daughter's house. Our house is beginning to look a little sparse. But I guess that's the idea. I have one more 'military' item that will need to reside somewhere else while we are overseas. It's a hand carved helicopter. An art piece. And it can't be in anyone's attic. It needs a home high atop a bookcase where little hands can't touch it. It's lovely. Our foray into the SoCal desert was hard enough on it. Most of the glue let go. It needs major reconstruction. I can't imagine what shape it'd be in if we stuck it in an attic somewhere. No, this sculpture needs an indoor, climate controlled home.

Where shall I take it??

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

I have tall bookshelves, and no kiddos... We also have the glass-front section of the entertainment center. Then all your military gear will be in one place.

Did you clear out the military t-shirts?? That seems like a big one to work on...

Unknown said...

Emm,

The t-shirts are their own nightmare... getting your Dad to throw clothes into GoodWill is like pulling teeth. The t-shirts will end up in a box. I'll bring that and the 'copter over to OKC one day soon!! spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

MY BROTHER! Seriously, he's meticulous enough to treat it with care and do the repair it needs.

Unknown said...

Kimmee,

So nice of you to offer up Casey's house! Too bad they are smokers... don't want that legacy.