Chunking Things

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Outdoor Gear

This is the time of year to buy stuff for the patio. All the stores are marking it down, getting rid of it and stocking school supplies in that big seasonal section of the store.

I had my eye on a combination umbrella stand drink cooler table. I got it $40 cheaper than the sale price I saw at the first of the summer. Do I really need it? Probably not, but the moment I saw it, I thought it was genius. I wanted it. I don't even own an umbrella--I'll have to buy one to use with it. But I'm sure going to be rigged for outdoor entertaining any minute now.

I only feel like a 'winner' when I buy something on sale. If I pay full price, I feel like I've caved or missed out on something. When I get a bargain, I feel like I've won the lottery. I know there are a lot of things that I should buy right when I see them (like anything at Sam's or Costco) because they are liable to be out when I get around to making the decision to buy them. I tend to use my parents' rule for acquisitions. They would see something they really liked and pass it by. If, four days later, they still wanted it, they went and bought it.

A lot of time, if I can wait four days, I don't really want something that bad. Or I completely forget about it. A mind is a terrible thing to waste...

I'm focused on outdoor gear because I'm moving to the desert and I know that outdoors is where the entertaining is done. Patios, gardens and courtyards are where people gather. I need to have my gear collected so I can make friends and engage the locals.

So, cooler table, check. Now off to Academy to buy an umbrella.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

Or just make sure you remember to pack that plastic owl... no more bird poo!

Unknown said...

Emm,

Luckily I have TWO plastic owls. I'm sure they'll come in handy. spw