Chunking Things

Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Day At The Beach

We went to the beach this morning to paddle with friends. We got up early and got to the beach at 0720.

The paddle club facility is located within view of the Burj Al Arab hotel.

By the time we left the beach at 0930, it was over 100 degrees, but when we first got there, it was pleasant. There was a light breeze off the water. The coast is shallow here, so the surf is light and the water is warm year round.

I did put my toes into the Persian Gulf to feel the temperature of the water. Like bathwater. I sat on the beach and visited with a gal from South Africa while her husband taught DH to paddle an ocean kayak.

The kayaks are like the OC-1's without an outrigger/ama. They are very tippy and DH went into the drink several times, but managed to right the boat and get back in, each time he hulied. The way they are paddled is completely different from outrigger canoeing. They use a two bladed paddle, and the pull is slightly different, especially at the wrist break. Like what we're used to, you have to sit up very straight and use your core, twisting with the paddle.

Like any other sport, ocean paddling has some safety rules and requirements. This club maintains a training program that new paddlers have to complete before they are allowed to use club equipment.

The next training class won't begin until September so we'll be dependent on the kindness of strangers--or we'll have to buy our own boat. Apparently, some of the leaving expats sell off their canoes, so there's a good chance of buying a used boat from a club member.

It's quite a schlep out to the paddling club beach, but I think we're going to enjoy the activity. The beach is pretty empty during the summertime (it's the off season for Dubai), but gets pretty busy during the wintertime.

I'm really looking forward to getting out. I'm hoping to see some of the well dressed Muslim bathers. I saw this in the mall sporting goods store yesterday and had to snap a photo. If this suit is UV A & B resistant, I'm thinking a pasty redhead like myself should invest in one!

If we end up paddling together, I'll need to be tougher so I can stay out as long as DH wants to haul me around. Lightweight coverage seems like a good idea.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

I love the feet in the water shot... Craig took a similar pic when he went to Cocoa Beach, FL for the company that shall not be named.

Unknown said...

I remember seeing that picture and one of him really snarling at being out on the beach to begin with. spw