Chunking Things

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Paddles Up!


Some of you know that during our 'overseas tour' to Southern California with the USMC, DH and I took up outrigger canoeing with the SCORA club aboard Camp Pendleton--Kupa'a Mau.

We LOVED it! Made some great lifelong friends and enjoyed hitting the ocean with a boat full of friends several times per week. DH even paddled from Catalina Island back to the mainland in one of the 9 Man competitions. It was a highlight of his racing career. The paddlers were a gregarious, fun group and we miss them every day.

One of DH's coworkers mentioned that he saw a dragon boat in the marina full of paddlers. This has been like seeing the Loch Ness monster from what I can tell. Apparently, it's the off season. The boats have disappeared and so have the paddlers within them. So, with the patience of the Bigfoot hunters, we lie in wait.

DH went to a meeting and chatted up a total stranger sitting next to him. This guy mentioned that another coworker paddled with a club. When DH asked who? he pointed right across the table. DH was able to strike up a conversation and find out the scoop. This guy paddles a surf ski with a club full of enthusiasts. He invited us to meet him this weekend and give it a try. We can NOT wait!

We had another friend who tried these in Australia and she warned that they are super tippy! DH has dumped me out of every boat I've ever climbed in with him. He says it's my fault, but when he's not in the boat with me, I don't get thrown into the water...

We're going to try it this Saturday. The club has rack storage, but all the surf skis are individually owned, so we'll be using this guy's boat or borrowing. I can't wait to try it. I'm hopeful that if we get in touch with this group, we can find the elusive dragonboat team and do some group paddling too.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

That is so awesome! I hope you guys have a blast!!

(sad face - my capcha for this comment is "no gyro")

Unknown said...

That is so funny!! No gyro for you. Like the soup nazi only Greek.

I am hoping we find some 'like minded souls' to hang out with. The paddlers in CA were such good people! spw