Chunking Things

Friday, July 8, 2011

Glitterati


So far, there are a LOT of things I like about Dubai. I feel the need to share some of the most fascinating ones with you. If you know me, then you know I like shiny things, glittering stuff and bejeweled ornaments. I won't apologize for my tacky taste. It is what it is...

Imagine my surprise when I left The Dubai Mall at night and saw all the palm trees wrapped in fairy lights! They twist them around the trunk really close together and then wrap the bottom leaves of the palm all the way to the tips. Then those branches sway in the breeze. I can't tell you just how pretty this is... my pictures do not do it justice.

I took one shot with the flash and one shot without, but it's a $60 camera, so this is what you get. I wanted to be able to show you how the whole street looked lined with these gorgeous palms all lit up at night. It's just lovely. And it's not holiday related, it's an all year long decoration!

In Dubai, they do things BIG.
I took this picture of DH standing next to a potted palm inside the Dubai Mall. These were surrounding an atrium on two levels. I'm pretty sure the pots were plastic, but you can see how tall they are when you consider he's 6 feet tall.

Figure one of the ginormous pots every ten yards in a giant half circle and you get the impact they made on the upper deck. There was a similar number of them on the lower, fountain level.

These faux potted palms surround the Oasis Fountain Waterfall and WaterFront Atrium. It's pretty impressive.

As you can see, it's about three stories tall. The water cascades down a slanted and curved wall that perfectly simulates a waterfall. Spaced across the face of this fountain are stainless steel divers caught in mid-swandive. Each of the divers is nearly life sized. And there are two of these walls of water. You can just barely see the second one peeking out the back of this photo. Plus, you can see how those giant potted palms are arced around the whole area.

Big. Shiny. Impressive.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

So cool...

Unknown said...

I know! Big and impressive. The lights on the palm trees are my new favorite thing. I wish I had some palm trees to wrap in lights.