Chunking Things

Monday, July 18, 2011

The Heat Is On


Even though it's 111 degrees outside, we still wanted to grill. It's how you cook in the summer, right? So we made a foray down to Ace Hardware to buy a backyard grill.

First discussion was charcoal or gas. We've had gas in the past, because I'm way to lazy to always be buying charcoal briquets. I even switched from propane tanks to having the grill plumbed to the natural gas line. And that was my problem. Because the last grill was built in, we had to leave it behind when we sold the house.

Although DH was willing to do the briquet nonsense to improve the taste of the end product, we are now in a place where wood is scarce. And since charcoal is a byproduct of wood, charcoal is expensive too. But gas is cheap here. The cheapest I've seen. So gas grill it is.

We found a sale on one that appeared stout and good quality. Then I called the gas guys. There is no pipeline delivery of natural gas for home cooking. Each house has a tank (and some, a spare.) You call them when it's empty and they bring out a filled bottle. The deposit on the tanks is high, but the charge is not expensive at all. Since they provided the two bottles for the house, I called and arranged one for the grill. They were out to the house within two hours of the phone call and we were 'cookin' with gas'. I think the guy who hooked it up liked the grill too.

I know DH liked the grill. He warmed it up to burn off the stuff coating the grill for shipping. Then oiled the racks and threw dinner on the grill. We had a couple of hamburger patties, grilled onions and some Italian sausages.

It was wonderful--excellent tasting. It was hot out, and grilling was hotter. But oh, yum, it was tremendous.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

TAM said...

What a great photo of your DH!

Unknown said...

Doesn't he look sexy hot when he's cooking? I could just eat HIM up. spw

Emmylee said...

Woot! Glad you got another grill--I know my husband is enjoying the one you got for us!

Unknown said...

Emm!!

Your dad is ALMOST as excited as Craig was... spw

Emmylee said...

Well, Daddy has had a grill before so it makes sense that he couldn't compete with Craig's I've-never-owned-a-real-grill excitement!

If you can find the meat, I recommend trying that Sam-guy's rib recipe... OMGeez, so yummy!