Chunking Things

Monday, August 30, 2010

Ask your neighbors... State Farm

Insurance is a topic that is sure to make my voice get screechier and raise my blood pressure. Basically, we're betting bad things will happen to us, and the insurance company is betting they won't. I'm pretty good at statistics, so I know the law of large numbers and how insurance works. I've actually worked for a few years in that industry, so I know it's peopled by hard working, well intentioned folks.

I have kept most of my insurance with a company that specializes in military families. It's always been a good value, they understand the needs of my family, and the claims get paid quickly and efficiently. In the face of no competitor with similar low rates, I've never been tempted to change to another company. Until recently.

I realized as I watched TV that the State Farm ads were getting to me. Making me rethink my insurance... but why? Why would I notice a competitive company after more than 25 years with another company??

The spokesman in the commercials has world class dimples. I can't think of any other reason why I'd believe this guy. When he grins, and he does, these great dimples appear. How can you not believe someone with dimples?? Isn't that the sign of an honest, forthright, smiling person?

I am such an idiot. When I realized that's all I was reacting to, I could have kicked myself. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't switch over my insurance, but I was thinking about making a call... until I realized what the issue was. Eye candy on the commercials.

Nothing about Dennis Haysbert's excellent bass voice saying I'm in good hands makes me want to change my insurance. No amount of Dean Winters in the "Mayhem" commercials makes me want to switch over to Allstate. Hardly any of the entertaining Flo's antics compels me to pick up the phone and switch my allegiance to Progressive.

So why does the cute guy for State Farm make an impact? SafeAuto has a cute guy. 'Justin Case' shows up in billboards and on TV for SafeAuto. He doesn't phase me in the least.

Only the State Farm guy. It's gotta be the dimples. Can a guy with world class dimples lie to me?

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

I can't believe you don't like Dean and Justin! Dean driving the Pink SUV and Justin dancing ala MJ--too funny!!

I've never had the desire to switch--or even call. The fact that the telemarketers just said "oh" when I told them what company I was with told me everything I needed to know.

Have you figured out what going to the big A is going to do to your insurance??

Unknown said...

Emm,

I didn't say that I didn't like looking at them... just that they don't make me feel like switching my insurance.

We do have good coverage that is discount priced. I'm not sure how the North Africa adventure is going to lower our rates... we'll definitely be getting renters insurance instead of homeowners, but I imagine the hazards are higher so elevate the cost. spw

Twisted Sister said...

Sandee--
You make me laugh...in a good way. You're posts are so true and spot on.
Did you get your car fixed?
I cringed when I thought about the Mustang going to a mechanic.

We haven't switched insurance or cell carriers from a commercial, although I love the attack ferret!

Unknown said...

Meg,

The Mustang has to go to a mechanic, but I've got a guy who loves Mustangs like Bert does... so it'll be all right. We'll get it up to him and he'll figure out the problem.

I am always surprised when I respond to any type of TV commercial... I'm more convinced that I'm not their demographic... this guy with the dimples has surprised me. spw

TAM said...

Dimples, it's why you love me.

Unknown said...

TAM,

One of the MANY reasons I love you.