Chunking Things

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pitter Patter of Little Feet

For the past week, I've had my darling DIL and her two children (2.5 & 11 mos) here for a short visit. They are moving to MN. She and the kids cleared out before the packers and my son stayed behind to handle the moving truck load. It gave her a little break from the stress, and it kept the kids from being trapped with nothing but boxes to chew on.

We enjoyed the visit--at least I know I did.

It was fun to have little ones around the house. My DIL spent the first hour here following the baby around and putting stuff up high, out of reach.

It was especially fun to see and hear my grandson running around. When they talked about the 'pitter, patter of little feet', I guess I never put it together. Now that I think about it, when my kids were little, we always had carpeting.

I have travertine floors. When granson #2 got going, his little feet slapped on that stone and echoed through the great room. It was such a joyful sound!

Kids require a great deal of attention. I'm glad that the young have babies--I think you need stamina to keep up with children. My DIL is so patient, and such a good momma. Those kids are bright, engaging and healthy. They know they're loved. It's a delight to be around them.

We got to go to the zoo yesterday and see the animals. Little shouts of "what happened?", "what is that?" and "what's that noise?" filled the air. As he ran around from habitat to cage to lookout, we wheeled his little sister behind and tried to answer all those queries. So much learning going on in one little package.

Kids are a treasure. If you've got 'em, be sure and tell them that you love them. They grow up so soon and your empty nest won't have that pitter patter.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

So cute!! I'm glad you had fun and got to spend the week with babies!

Unknown said...

Emm,

It was great fun. A week is not enough time to do a lot of things, but it's enough time to play with kids. spw