Chunking Things

Thursday, August 5, 2010

E! Entertainment Idiocy

I watch a lot of E! I like Chelsea Lately, so sue me.

When I'm getting ready for bed at night, I turn on the network and watch whatever is on before Chelsea Lately. Most days of the week, it's E! Entertainment News.

So, I actually know more than I want to about Lindsay Lohan, the Kardashians and whatever is happening on The Bachelor.

Last night, Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic gushed on and on about Jennifer Hudson's (of Dream Girls and runner up American Idol fame) amazing weight loss. I am no stranger to weight loss and its difficulties, so first let me say, "hats off to you, Miss Hudson. You GO girl!"

But Ryan and Giuliana said multiple times that she'd lost 10 dress sizes. Now, that's a lot of dress sizes, isn't it? They went on to say she went from a size 16 to a size 6. Guess what, idiots? That's not 10 dress sizes. That's 5 or 6 depending on how you count.

I think I can forgive Ryan for just reading off the cards--he's a guy and they know nothing of women's clothing sizing--but Giuliana should have known better, right? She's like a size zero so she must do some clothing shopping. She's probably never lost a dress size or gained one, but she MUST know that women's dress sizing is even numbers--0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 etc. It's not rocket science.

But those two 'news' hosts sure made it appear to be algebraic in its difficulty. To get from size 6 to size 16 you grow 5 dress sizes. So to go from 16 to 6 you must reduce the same amount. But not in crazy E! Entertainment Newsland, no. There it's a loss of 10 dress sizes.

I guess that makes it sound like MORE or maybe more exciting? Either way, they came off like a couple of gibbering idiots. Also, congratulations to Sara Rue who's lost 50 lbs using Jenny Craig. Thank goodness she didn't tell the E! folks in dress sizes...

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

LOL! So I can now say that I lost 14 dress sizes?!?

Hey, I was pretty tickled with just the 7.

Zack and Kimmee said...

Seriously... that's funny... and you should lay off the E! News. I'm ashamed they call it "news"

Susan Shay said...

TMI warning:
These people are "counting" junior sizes. In juniors, a 5 is about the same as a 6, a 7 about the same as an 8, etc, except juniors are smaller through the bust and hips--and usually have a younger look.
If they're going to do that, they should count half sizes, too. 12 1/2, 14 1/2, etc.
They really don't make half-sizes anymore--now they call them plus sizes, but if E folks want drama, there you go. LOL.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I know, right? Crazy. How it gets by all the editors and sensors and onto the show, I'll never know. Lazy.

Unknown said...

Z&K,

Sue me! I can watch crap if I want to... you watch those Wipeout shows. And the Ninja Warrior... and don't get me started on the SPEED network. spw

Unknown said...

Susan,

If I honestly thought they were making the juniors + womens sizes error, I might be okay with it. I really think someone said, "16 minus 6 equals 10". Goobers.

spw