Chunking Things

Monday, August 16, 2010

Series That I Love

If you're looking for info on TV stuff, that's not the kind of series I'm talking about. Today, I'm thinking about books series that I love, and why.

My kids and I share a love for reading. Whenever they've read a really good series, they recommend it to me. I do the same for them. I've turned my kids on to really good authors and they've done the same for me.

Yesterday I finished the third book in a series recommended to me by my #2 son. When it was all said and done, I wondered, "what did he like about this?" so I asked him. He said he wasn't all that into the book's characters, but he enjoyed the system. The world and rules of magic represented by this fantasy.

That is so interesting to me. There have been so many series over the years that I've loved. And to a one, it's the characters that have engaged me. Sure, I love the worlds, or the surroundings, but it's the characters I'm willing to 'ride' through book after book.

I love Nora Roberts' Eve Dallas, the In Death series is a winner. I adore Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books. I pine for books in David Weber's Honor Harrington series. I also loved the David Weber and John Ringo series on Prince Roger's life. I can't wait for the next Stephanie Plum book to be written by Janet Evanovich. I want to experience Egypt with Elizabeth Peters' very fine archeologist, Amelia Peabody. I feel like I'm in the National Parks with Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon. Or on the reservation with Tony Hillerman's Navajo cops Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. Stephanie Laurens could not write enough books with the Cynster family featured. I know that Julia Quinn is running out of Bridgertons, but I really wish she'd create some more. I want to experience Barrayar with Miles Vorkosigan and I can't wait until Lois McMasters Bujold's next installment.

These series share one big element for me. I feel like I know the characters. The people are real to me. I talk about them like they are more than fiction. The movies are cast in my head.

I read a lot of books. I have shelves and shelves full of 'keepers'. But some books transcend just the enjoyment of reading a good story. Some novels become lifelike for me. I can only relate it to longtime soap operas' and their rabid fan base. When one of these series has a new book coming out, I'm at the bookstore with my nose pressed to the glass, saying, "open, open, OPEN!" I know that the new releases are shelved on Tuesdays and I'm there, with my hand out, waiting.

So, what does it for you? What series comes alive in your mind? Me liking a TV series is a kiss of death. The minute I decide to tune in and catch episodes of a TV series, it gets cancelled. That's why I'm not naming any TV shows that I like. I think it's easier for a TV character to seem real because they are acted by real people. It's not so much of a stretch.

But in books, well the author has to work hard to make you think a character is alive. Just ask any J.K. Rowling fan and they'll tell you that Harry Potter is a real boy.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

What? Harry is real? NO WAY!

LOL, I love Harry Potter and Twilight (but the movies suck). I'm also really enjoying the Seeker books; I'm about 1/4 of the way into the second one and it (and the first one) has completely sucked me in!

Unknown said...

If you make even the barest reference to Big Bang Theory, I'll come up there and weld in a lambo door kit on the PT. Don't think I won't...

Unknown said...

Emm,

You and a gazillion other teens have been sucked in by Stephanie Meyer's vampires and JK Rowlings magic. I think it's all great fiction. spw

Unknown said...

Zachary,

I don't know what you're talking about... I might have purchased season one on DVD, but I promise I won't watch it live. That, apparently, is the kiss of death. That said, I would LOVE a lambo door. And ground effect neon. And hydraulics. Make the PT jump!! spw