Chunking Things

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

No More HGTV

I think I'm addicted. Left to my own devices, I would watch this network all day long. The only thing that makes me flip away is a rerun. It can't be good for me.

I don't want any ideas for fixing up my home. I'm moving!

But these good looking, handy people keep giving me ideas. Tips on how to better organize or utilize small spaces. Advice on thinking outside the box when space planning a room. When did I ever space plan a room?

I walk into every house, point to a wall and say, "sofa there, TV there". Then I live there for years and years and never, EVER move the furniture. My daughter's best friend in high school was a guy named Chris. He and Emm used to talk all the time about how often his mother moved the living room furniture around and 'redid' the space. He was amazed that he came over month after month and our living room never changed.

When I buy new furniture, I move things around. But that's it.

In 2007, we packed up and moved to SoCal for two years, then came back to our house. I put everything back where it was before. Except in the kitchen, I changed the items I kept in one drawer and one cabinet. My husband never noticed and only one of my kids did.

When I want to remodel and make a change, I want a change. But otherwise, I really have it the way I like it and want it. I don't have a need to keep fiddling with things, or redoing them. So why am I constantly watching a network where that's all they do?

It can't be good for me.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

LOL, Sandee. I feel the need to rearrange everything at least twice a year. (Maybe it's a sign that my anxiety medication needs to be adjusted.)

I can do pretty much what I want with the living and dining room and kitchen, but Bob controls the bedroom. I can't move the bed or dresser without him, and he won't help. He likes it the way it is. I need a different perspective every so often.

Susan said...

My mom loved rearranging the furniture. Did it several times a year. And she always found a way to move stuff by herself. That way she didn't have to discuss it with anyone.
But like Marilyn, the bedroom always stayed the same.
I'm one who doesn't change much at all.
Too lazy I guess.