Chunking Things

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Frozen Fruit Drinks Without Alcohol

 
Posted by Picasa


Since I have taken up residence in a dry hotel, on a lake developed by the Saudis and kept alcohol free by their covenants, it has made me remember things.

Like how the mother of invention kicks in when you need her. I believe that there are stores here that sell alcohol. I can carry it by the bottle into the room and consume it here with no worries. What I am lacking is a way to make it palatable... make a drink that I want to consume...with no juice and no ice. I pretty much need both of those to even consider a mixed drink.

The answer to this question is the White Trash Margarita Machine. Made doubly famous by my glorious sister and her genius husband, who--as only engineers can--improved on a design created by his cousin. This machine is a commercial quality garbage disposal unit attached to the bottom of a 5 gallon beverage cooler. It has GFCI outlets and stainless steel piping. In the course of just moments, you can make a 5 gallon container of margaritas. She set it up at a family picnic and I became a huge fan of the device AND the people who cobbled it together.

Right now, I'd give my eye teeth for a bag of ice and one of these suckers. I might be the most popular girl in the hotel if I had this thing. The unfamiliar-ness of a bar that doesn't serve alcohol and a population of people who look down upon you if you do is really quite disturbing. The bar downstairs makes these wonderful fruit drinks. I ordered one for lunch and about four sips into it, thought, "you know what would make this perfect? A jigger of vodka. Maybe rum."

That's when my friend told me that I could go to Carrefour and buy alcohol and bring it into the room. I'm now planning my next foray to that store. I need some time there. Time to search the shelves and read the labels with an English-French dictionary in my hand. Anyone know the French for 'vodka'? It might come in handy.

I think I'll set DH a task of reproducing the White Trash Margarita machine. We might need it by this time next year.

--Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

Emmylee said...

Well, "vodka" is Russian for vodka--so that one might be the same everywhere!!

What you need to remember is "jus de canneberge" so you can have a Cape Cod!!

iPhone apps are compatible with the iPad, right? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-french-dictionary/id338712994?mt=8#

Emmylee said...

oh, and I so remember that family reunion!! That machine was crazy!

Craig C. Calvin said...

You mean there's no Captain Morgan in Tunisia? Outrageous!

Unknown said...

Emm,

I've got an English-French dictionary coming in the mail. I wonder if it will include all the liquors?

Unknown said...

Craig,

I have not verified that yet. Stand by for another trip to Carrefour. They are said to have everything... even an infidel meat aisle.

lnye said...

Boy could we use one of these!!! Can you put us in touch?

Unknown said...

Linda,

I've got to figure you were kidding. I can check with Tree and see if they are 'selling'. They might have thought up some new changes and be working on a new one... and willing to sell off the older model. We can see! spw