Chunking Things

Monday, September 20, 2010

How Important IS Water, Anyway?

They've been doing work on the water line down my street for the past month. They broken up my driveway. They've replaced the culverts and redone the grade so everything will drain correctly. I appreciate the work they've done, but once in a while, I wonder about these guys.

Each day they are working on the line, our water has been shut off. They either leave a note telling us that it will be out from 0900-1700 or they knock on the door and tell us personally. I'm okay with that. Let me get my shower before you cut it off, then I'll make other plans for the day...

But today, they went a little too far. They did the work, then they were ready to quit for the day. A guy came up to the door and asked us if we HAD to have the water turned back on?? Or could they leave it off over night and come back in the morning and finish up...

Are you kidding? Do we need the water? Yes. Yes, we need the water. You cannot leave it off for 12 hours just because it would make your job easier in the morning. That's too much inconvenience for any homeowner.

I wonder how many people polled would say, "Go ahead, leave it off. I don't need to flush a toilet or wash my hands."

Water is important. I comprehend how difficult it is to keep the system working and all the lines in good repair. I'm willing to be patient when they have to shut off my water while they work. While They Work. Not 'while they sleep' or 'while they watch sitcoms'.

Yes, water is important to me. Go the extra mile and get it turned on for the next twelve hours. You can shut it off again in the morning. After I have my shower.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

LOL, I remember when they were working on the water lines outside of Blockbuster--having the water off all day AND being at work sucked. I couldn't wash my hands or use the restroom!

Unknown said...

Emm,

It's got to be hard when they shut off the water for a business. At some point, some of the folks can't even do business without water. There were restaurants next door, weren't there?? spw