Chunking Things

Friday, September 17, 2010

Man's Best Friend

I think folks are 'dog people' or 'cat people'. Maybe some are just animal lovers. I was not raised with animals, so I'm not as comfortable with them as others. We have dogs. Two of them. Chip and Sophie.

Both of these dogs were throwaways. Chip belonged to my brother in law, but he fell on hard times and couldn't care for Chip. So Chip bounced around the family some, and then ended up with us. After Chip settled in, we got Sophie. She was a puppy and Chip was so patient with her.

They have been our constant companions for more than six years. And now we have to give them up. We are not allowed to take animals overseas with us. So we've had to find new homes for the dogs. Of all the things we've had to do, this is the hardest.

I'm not sure why. I'm not the sloppy dog lover that some of my friends are. But finding a new home for these dogs has been traumatic. And saying goodbye to them is about impossible. My good friend has agreed to take them, and we are dropping them off this weekend. It's better to have someone I know care for them than to just leave them at a 'no kill' shelter. I appreciate the fact that she's willing to care for the pups.

But saying goodbye to constant companions is never easy. Not even for me.

--Sandee Wagner

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My BFF Tammy took my dogs! I am so happy that they have a great home (5 acres to run around on) and a loving caretaker. So glad I didn't have to drop them off at a 'no kill' shelter. spw