Chunking Things

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where Did The Wireless Go?

We are ensconced in a very nice hotel. The lobby is guarded by statues of Aslan and the staff here is professional and tri-lingual for the most part. I really shouldn't complain. But I do have one beef with this very glamorous place--the wireless connectivity.

I mentioned to another gal that we were not 'finding' the wireless connection in our room. We chatted about it, and she asked if I wanted to come to her room and see if I could connect there? So, I followed her up, typed in the wireless network name, the password supplied by the front desk and Viola! Wireless connectivity for my iPad.

I walked down to my hotel room, opened my laptop, manually entered the network name and it found the network and connected. So my laptop has connectivity that does not require a tether to the wall now. This is progress.

But the wireless on my iPad dropped. And no matter what I do, I can't get the iPad to reconnect to the wireless network.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't really expect blazing speed from a hotel internet connection. I was even prepared for it to be somewhat limited/filtered/or censored. But it doesn't appear to be anything but weak. My friend's suggestion: ask them to move you to another room.

Our room is at the end of a hall, dead last, outside corner of the hotel. Depending on the Wireless Access Point or equipment, we could just be out of range of the signal. A couple feet past the repeater's waves or something. I don't know.
Wireless is 'magic fairy dust' to me. I know it works, but I have no idea how it works and I don't really care to spoil the magic by learning.

I don't really want to change hotel rooms. This one is quiet, out of the way of tromping foot traffic... and frankly, I've unpacked all my suitcases into the drawers and closet. I don't really want to move.

I wonder if there is some gadget that I could buy to beef up the signal and make my iPad see the wireless?? I may end up spending my afternoons in the lobby. We'll have to see. At least at my alcohol-free bar, they have fruity frozen drinks.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Dizzie Diva said...

Try wearing a hat made out of tinfoil. The guy under the overpass here does that and he is always talking hands-free, so that seems to help ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh Emm!! You slay me. I needed a laugh and you made me chortle. If you want some more fun with cats like your picture suggests, check this out: on buzzfeed.com there's a link to "how to wrap a cat for Christmas".