Chunking Things

Monday, September 27, 2010

A Whole New World

 
Posted by Picasa
When you're serious about theft, you lock things up.

I went to Carrefour today. It's a big deal. Think of this as the WalMart analog. A big box store, Tunisian style. I didn't even get out of the parking lot before I busted out my camera. Ugly American, that's me!

In order to get a shopping cart/buggy/trolley (can you tell I went shopping with a Scottish gal?) you have to insert money into the coin holder, which allows you to remove one shopping cart from the line.

I told my new friend that we didn't charge for shopping carts in the US. In fact, I think we give them away to homeless people. She said that they do this in the UK all the time, she was used to inserting a coin into the trolley handle to pull it out.

I'm sure this is just one of the many things that are going to appear strange and unique to me. Walking through the store, I realized the scope of my inabilities.

I need sunscreen. The movers wouldn't pack aerosol cans. The airlines frown on you including them in your checked baggage because the cargo holds are not pressurized. And I couldn't carry it on because it's more than 3 ounces of liquid. So I decided to just buy sunscreen when I got to Tunisia.

I got a little pink yesterday in my tour of the town. I don't really want to have a sunburn, so we went to Carrefour. Where they sell everything and they even take credit cards! That's actually a big deal. Very much a cash economy here in Tunisia.

Of course, the brand of sunscreen I like isn't even sold. There are absolutely NO aerosol cans. There are just a few selections available. Most of the kid's stuff goes on colored and I don't need that. Reading labels became my first priority.

So I told my friend Wendy that I needed high SPF and waterproof. High SPF is easy. They print a number on the label just like we do. Then she busted out her phrasebook and we tried to determine what 'waterproof' would look like on a label in French. We finally figured it out and I got some sunscreen. But here's the rub. I usually buy PABA free, because that stuff burns my eyes. Most sunscreen is marked 'PABA free' in the US. That's considered something that differentiates brands in the market. Here, not so much.

I'm not sure if it's because they don't allow any PABA products to be sold in the country, or if they don't care. Either way, I bought sunscreen and I'm going to have to 'road test it' to see if it makes my eyes sting or not. There's no way to tell.

Some brands are easy to identify. You can still pick out a Snickers bar or a Coca Cola at twenty paces. The packaging looks exactly the same only with French and Arabic writing. But there is a world of new brands, new packaging and new labels that I cannot read. I have a feeling that Rosetta Stone is not going to help me read ingredients on packages.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Dizzie Diva said...

You know they have those cards here at the Aldi too? I used to go there in Tulsa to get my fill of German foods. They are pretty much standard in Europe, that way people bring their cards back and the store doesn't have to hire card collection boys. The supermarkets there don't provide much service, let alone a friendly smile... Or free bags. Did you have to bring your own bags with you?

That is so much fun you have a Carrefour! I love that store! I know in France bet they have a special Halal Meat section. Do the ones in Tunisia have a special Infidel Meat section?

Don't buy an iron! Just convince Bert they do not sell those there and tell all the locals it is not a common practice in the US to iron clothes. haha, yes I hate ironing.

I hope you are enjoying it all, and hope that you are not to much bugged down by culture shock!
I think it is great you already have so many friends there! How did you do that?

Hugs from Texas where the fall has seemed to arrived (well at least today it is nice out, 66F)

btw Your post are making me homesick for my vacations I used to have at the Mediterranean!

Unknown said...

Hey Emmanuelle!

It's so cool that you've been to Carrefour. Now I feel like I've shared something long distance. It really was like WalMart.

Did you ever go to a Monoprix? That's the other store they keep telling me that I'll like.

They've also pointed out three shopping malls. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. The expat wives must do a lot of shopping!!

spw