Chunking Things

Friday, February 26, 2010

Challenging Myself

Until he retired, my husband served in the USMC.  He was gone a lot of the time.  When my kids were little, doing all the household errands and being a mother (and a father) to my kids took up the time and made it go faster.  Now that my kids are grown and gone, I look for ways to fill my time when he's out of town.

One of the things I started doing when he was deployed was picking something I had always wanted to learn how to do and taking lessons.  His first major deployment I took tap dancing lessons.  It was a blast.  I have absolutely no sense of rhythm or talent, but I had a lot of fun. 

The second time he was gone, I took oil painting classes.  I started with a teacher who taught painting with a pallet knife, no brushes.  Lots of landscape scenes.  Since I've only taken the eight lessons, that's the only way I know how to paint.  My original oils are hung in my children's homes and in close friends' places.  I don't think I have a lot of talent, but if you want a wall filled and you aren't picky, give me a call and we'll work something out.

I enjoy challenging myself.  I don't necessarily want to learn how to do things that will be costly hobbies--I've avoided taking golf lessons or downhill skiing--I just want to do the things that I've always admired and thought, "I wish I knew how to do that". 

I am an auditory learner.  I generally need someone to explain something to me, or talk me through it in order to become successful at anything.  So, lessons are a must.

My husband has accepted a rotational gig that will have him flying back and forth a lot over the next few months.  I'm going to need a new challenge.  So, what will it be?  Will I take a painting class where someone explains a little about brush techniques (and color and line and light and everything else I've missed!) or is it time to take up a musical instrument?  I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano.  And I just happen to have one here at the house.

Probably, I should learn how to do ceiling texture knockdown and get rid of the popcorn ceilings in my house... that might have more of a payoff for me in the long run.  So, what do you think?  What should I challenge myself with this time?  Belly dancing?  Gardening?  Fusible glass jewelry?  Pottery?

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

susan said...

I'd love to learn to throw pottery. Jewelry making is a lot of fun. And knitting? A worthwhile hobby!
If DH were leaving, I'd take ball room dancing.
Can't you see me in a Tango???

Emmylee said...

BELLY DANCING!! ftw!

Unknown said...

I think you need to take DH to dance lessons with you... I'll save the ballroom till he's going to be around, Susan. If you find a pottery class, I'll take it with you.

Unknown said...

Emm, if you come take it with me, I'll sign up for belly dancing. They have the best outfits!!

Marilyn said...

Glass jewelry! I love it!

Meg had a hoot with her belly dancing. I think I have too much to work with, lol.

I've got two things in mind for this year: learning to dive so I can join Bob and Meg in the water when we go to Cozumel this fall, and taking a stained glass class.

Unknown said...

Oh, I've seen some really pretty stained glass work at the Glass Station in Broken Arrow (it's where my friend is taking her fused glass to be fired). I think the stained glass might be beyond me, but the fused glass slumping might be my speed. spw