Chunking Things

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A good cause

I've been unemployed long enough.  I've decided to 'give back.'  Once I made the decision to do some volunteer work, it was just a matter of deciding which cause or organization to support.  There are a LOT of good causes out there.  All of them need help.  All of them depend on volunteers.

So, how did I decide which cause to support?  I went for close.  That's right.  I found one within two miles of my house.  That makes it convenient and easier.  Plus, cheaper, since I'm not getting a paycheck to fund my gasoline.

I did the orientation this morning.  Pretty basic stuff.  I know about their goals and their projects.  I know that they value their volunteers.  I also know that they could use someone with my skill set.  I signed up for several different volunteer positions.  Hopefully, they'll call me and put me to work.

And that, in turn, will mean that a Real Job will come up, right?  Does your universe operate on those kind of perverse lines?  Just when you get yourself organized for one thing, you get thrown a monkey wrench?  That's what I'm used to in my life.  I think the volunteering will work out great for me.  Especially since it looks like we'll be moving again real soon.

--Sandee Wagner

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

MOVE???

I love that you're so accepting of things, Sandee. I have a relative who just totally freaks out at the thought of something new happening. She'll worry herself sick over the possibility, and then, God forbid, if it really does happen . . . well, she's one of those "ain't nobody happy unless I'm happy" sort of people, so it sucks.

For selfish reasons, I hope it's nope on the move and that you enjoy the volunteer stuff and the paying job that's sure to come along.

Unknown said...

HA!! Marilyn, you don't have an Irish bone in your body. In my family, it's always, "it could be worse, it could be ..."

Bert accepted the gig, so it's happening. They've already started talking about a Houston job. I'm just getting ready for when it happens... right in the middle of MTM 2010.

How do you feel about picking up the slack?? spw

Unknown said...

OOOHHHH, update on Habitat for Humanity. They like me, they really LIKE me. I got an email from the volunteer coordinator and she wants to chat with me. spw