Chunking Things

Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting My Glam On

Today is a special event for my husband. There is an executive retiring from his company and they pulled out all the stops to do a retirement party for him. So, tonight, I'm arm-candy. I can't drink. I have to be on my best behavior. I need to make nice with a bunch of people I don't know--who won't remember my name the moment I turn my back.

Sounds like I'm not going to like it, doesn't it? That's not true.

I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoy dropping into social situations and 'working the room'. I love to quiz people about what they do, where they're from and how they like the US. Listening to the Scottish accents and South Americans talk is so much fun to me. I'm trying to 'file it all away' in my brain.

I guess social situations are really daunting to some people. When you're raised in a military family, and have to be the new kid in school over and over again, you get pretty good at 'working a crowd'. One of the most useful bits of advice I was ever given was from my mom. She assured me that people always love to talk about themselves. If you ask them questions that lead them to talk about their families, homes or kids, then you'll be a popular conversationalist.

I also like to bust the chops of the guys who try to talk work at these gatherings. You can really surprise them if you tell them "no work talk" and be firm about it. Executives are not used to being told what not to do. It's fun stuff, perverse, but entertaining.

So, today I'm getting my glam on. I believe I'll take a bubble bath, get a manicure and pedicure and do my hair all curly. I don't get out much so this is a big night for me. Any event held on the 30th floor downtown means some excellent city lights, even if the conversation lags. I do love a light show! I gotta go dust off my duds and make sure my outfit is appropriate. Wouldn't want to embarrass my DH!

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Ren said...

Have a great time schmoozing. Maybe you'll find the star of your next book.

RD

Unknown said...

I got a line for my current book. My BF emailed me with this line this morning. One of her buddies went to Las Vegas and wanted to get a sandwich at Canter's since he'd seen it on Food Network. He told her, "you'd knock your momma down to get to those fries."

I am so stealing that! spw

Marilyn said...

I want pics, Sandee! Did you look as glam as you did for the Marine Corps ball a few years back??

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I don't even know where the camera is... if you know a shutterbug, then I'm the antithesis of that. I never document myself in film.

I don't have pictures, and sadly, I was NOT as dolled up as I was for the USMC Ball. But then again, who ever is?? spw