Chunking Things

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Olympics

Every two years, the Olympics hit the airwaves and we see sports history in the making.  The events change a little.  The rules flex and the competition increases each and every outing.  We are currently in the middle of the Winter Olympics being held in Vancouver, British Columbia.

I am not a winter sports enthusiast.  I have never gone skiing.  I spend very little time on ice skates although I will admit I wanted to learn to play hockey as a teen.  My father refused.  My sister got figure skating lessons and I seethed.  But I digress.

I married a man who does not like to be cold.  So while family members tried to rally group visits to ski, we pled finances and avoided it at all costs.  Ask us to accompany you to a beach somewhere and we're in.

There's a lot about the Olympics that I find heartwarming and the newscasters manage to give a lot of personal interest by researching the competitors and finding the human angles on the stories they tell.  Often these stories involve little kids wanting something so badly that they give up hours of play time to sacrifice and work their way into the upper echelons of amateur athletics.  These stories always have the same effect on me.

I feel worthless.

That's right, instead of being inspired by their stories of sacrifice and loss, I am forever reminded that I have never wanted anything badly enough to work that hard for it.  I was never willing to practice anything for four hours before heading off to school, then returning after school for another four hours of practice before dropping into bed, doing a rinse and repeat the next day.  I am not that guy.

Being reminded of my frivolous nature and magpie tendencies is lowering to say the least.  One likes to think that 'we can overcome' and 'fight the good fight' but realizing that you just don't care enough to make the effort is depressing.  I get distracted.  I don't stick with anything.  I am a jack of all trades, master of none.

The Olympian athletes inspire the very young to greatness--to follow in their footsteps.  For folks my age, we watch and see, thinking, "ow, they're going to feel THAT in the morning!"  "How do they bend that way?  It's not right."  "They don't even look cold, how can they not be freezing?"

I am not inclined to try to better myself and challenge sports to attain international attention.  It just looks like too much work.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

But you WRITE. I am one of those unlucky people that does not have a story or a character in their heads... I love you read them and soak them all up, but I could never write...

Emmylee said...

Hehe, *I love TO read them...

I love you too, of course.

Marilyn said...

LOL, Sandee! A few games ago, I saw an interview with the latest gold medalist in skiing or speed skating, a cute little girl about as big around as my finger. In charmingly accented English, she said, "Oh, I am so excited! My heart is pounding harder than it ever has before! Why, my heart rate must be all the way up to 50."

Wow! ALL the way to 50???? Smack that girl with a ski pole!

Unknown said...

Emm,

You are sweet to note that I write and that that has some value. The point I'm making is that I don't want to write enough to get up early, slave away at it for hours... you get my drift, right? There's something about that driven lifestyle that I am completely lacking. You know, I can do nothing and then nap afterwards. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I cannot take some of the skaters seriously. They look so anorextic. In some of the tight suits, they look like eleven year old boys.

"...heart rate must be all the way up to 50" *snort*, in other places, that would be considered dead.

I agree. Get that girl a cheeseburger. spw

sharon worthey said...

It's so nice to know I'm not alone. I look back on our high school honors classes. For the most part, the guys all ended up as lawyers, doctors, engineers, IT guys or even CEO of a Fortune 500 Company. What happened to all of us girls? Okay, one did make it to NASA, but the rest of us? Could it be that we just learned how to appreciate being alive without all the games? That we know who we are without requiring external validation? That's my theory at least. Allow me my delusions.