Chunking Things

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Family Dance

The people I care most about can also be the hardest to please. My family is filled with characters. Personalities all over the map, temperaments that vary from sedate to high strung. We're a big family and all are individuals.

On one hand, it makes for fascinating conversations and interesting reunions. On the other hand, it can also lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Why is it that the folks in our lives that we want most to please, are sometimes the hardest ones to make happy?

Years ago, I taught my children not to say that they hate each other. It's okay to hate what someone is doing, I'd say, but you still love them. They are your brothers and sisters. You don't have to LIKE them, but you do have to LOVE them. You don't get to pick your family, you have to make the best of what you get.

It's an intricate dance, tip toeing your way through sensitive feelings and perceptions of hurt. But it's always worth the trouble. Family is everything to me.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Craig C. Calvin said...

I said I was sorry...

Unknown said...

You know I'm not talking about you, Craig. You told Emm that you won the 'in law lottery' so that will hold you for a good long while!! spw