Chunking Things

Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowing Again

I know that the weather here is nothing like in the frozen tundra up north, but we are having a cold winter. We've had so much snow and rain that the yard is like a big sponge. If you put your weight on your foot, you're going to lose a shoe.

I planned to run some errands today--but based on what's happening outside my windows, I think I'll stay close to home. The snow may not stick (it's been above freezing for a couple of days, so the ground is warmer) but I'm sure it's going to make people drive crazy.

That's right, I said it. People around here drive crazy in bad conditions. There seem to be two main culprits: 1) Folks with 4-wheel drive vehicles who think they are immune to road conditions; and 2) Folks who drive big, heavy vehicles. Not all trucks. Some big sedans. These guys somehow feel that if you weigh enough, your wheels will always contact cement or asphalt. I really don't want to be in their path when they realize the folly of their ways.

Even when it rains, there is a certain segment of society that does not slow down appropriately. I guess it always amazes me. I am convinced that if a bad thing can happen--it will happen to me. I'm Irish enough to think, "it could be worse".

The vehicle I'm driving now has been banged into more than any other car I've ever driven. If they still sold those bright orange bicycle flags (remember those?) I swear I'd nail one to my back bumper. I know the visibility inside the car is dreadful. Truly if you get cut off in traffic by a PT Cruiser, consider the fact that the driver did NOT see you. What I never realized is how stealthy the car is. People never see it. They back right into it. I've been t-boned in a parking lot for pete's sake!

As long as I drive the 'accident waiting to happen' vehicle, I'll choose not to go out in bad road conditions. Maybe next time I'll buy a big heavy car, or a 4-wheel drive vehicle and play fast and loose in these road conditions. But for now, I'm staying close to home.

--Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Heck, Sandee, people in Tulsa drive bad in bright sunshine on dry roads! Of all the places I've lived/visited, the worst drivers are right here at home. (The most courteous I've ever seen were in Seattle. Nice folks!)

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I almost killed at least three gray haired ladies the first year we moved to Tulsa from Houston. They came to a complete STOP on the highway to let someone merge--someone who had stopped up the on ramp. In most cities, it's up to the mergers to get up to speed and get themselves into traffic. I've never been anywhere where someone's niceness almost killed them in such a blatant way.

spw

Craig C. Calvin said...

Are you suggesting that Oklahomans don't know how to drive in ice and snow? How dare you?!?

Twisted Sister Meg said...

I learned how to drive on ice and snow in Oklahoma! Came in handy on the dirt track. :-)

I am NO fan of driving in heavy rain or snowy stuff. Had to get out today and hated it!!

Unknown said...

Craig, I'm more surprised that you read this blog than I am that you are incensed that I impugned your state's drivers. Seems like you're a pretty good driver, so present company excepted. spw

Unknown said...

Meg,

I have no doubt that you learned your dirt track skills on the roads in OK. I stayed close to home yesterday. Today, I'll get out in it. I'm hoping all the ice has had time to melt! spw

Unknown said...

Meg,

I have no doubt that you learned your dirt track skills on the roads in OK. I stayed close to home yesterday. Today, I'll get out in it. I'm hoping all the ice has had time to melt! spw