Chunking Things

Friday, February 19, 2010

Watch Who You Call A Terrorist

After yesterday's plane disaster in Austin, TX, my FaceBook friends went into rants about the man and his suicide post on the Internet.

One of my more militant friends, who admittedly lives in the Austin area, so has a right to be upset, called the crazy man a terrorist.

I immediately read the rant and gave it some thought.  Do I think this guy was a terrorist?  No.  He had a grudge against the US government and a real hard-on against the IRS.  He outlined his many troubles with the tax code through the years and his attempts to circumvent the laws.  Did I feel sorry for this guy?  No.

Let me point out a couple of things:  First, he set up his own religion to try and get around paying taxes.  I don't have any respect for anyone that does that kind of thing.  A religion is not something to pretend about.  Second, he owned his own airplane.  At this point, I'm done.  In the US, if you make over about $80,000 a year, you can expect to pay 28% or more in taxes.  That's the rule.  Expect it.  If you're making enough money to pay for private pilot's lessons and to buy a plane, which generally cost over $100,000, then I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Was this guy a terrorist?  Because he was angry about the government?  No.  No more than the former employees who walk back into their places of employment and open fire.  Mental illness makes some people paranoid.  It makes some people fixate on an institution or group and blame all their life's problems on that group or place.  That doesn't make them terrorists.

I'm not sure why my friend decided this guy was a terrorist.  Probably because it was so close to home, and so reminiscent of 9/11.  The definition of terrorist indicates that it's someone that is using violence or threats to intimidate or coerce for political reasons.  This guy had a grudge and there are lots of victims left in his wake.  Fist, there are two missing people, feared dead, in the office building he crashed into.  Second, he burned his house down before he left... so there's a homeless family out there somewhere.  Was he really trying to force, persuade or coerce?  Or was he making a crazy statement?  I think mental illness does not qualify for terrorism status.  But that's just me.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

JD said...

Hey come on... I didn't say he was a terrorist, I just said I was confused. The government said it wasn't a terrorist attack (but now they said they jumped the gun and are waiting on the investigation). I just said that it confused me because the definition of terrorism and the act this guy committed. He did commit it against the IRS which is part of the government. It was just like the OKC Bombing with less casualties. They were mad at the government so the bombed the building, this guy was mad at the IRS and flew a plane into an IRS building. I'm just confused between what we are calling an act of terrorism and what we are not.

A guy going in and killing a bunch of folks at his work is just a disgruntled employee by definition. But when it's against the government it's terrorism?? So is this guy a terrorist? I guess we will know after the investigation. Do I think it was terrorism? If you go by the definition, then yes. If you go by who did it to who, then no. Sandee, I love talking to you. You make me feeling all like a debater and all important, LOL! Ok that was my 2 minutes....whatcha got?? ;P

Unknown said...

JD, you are a wild man. I"m glad I stimulated your little gray cells in any way possible. I guess with a dictionary description of the word--this qualifies. In my humble opinion, he wasn't fighting anything. He was just pissed at the IRS and thousands of people each year are that, without being a terrorist. spw