Chunking Things

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Diamond Of A Carat Or More...

I've worked in IT for the past fifteen years.  It is a department (and field) that is generally male dominated.  Since I am an older woman, and therefore not threatening, a lot of the younger men would ask my opinion on gift giving occasions.  I have given the 'appropriateness' speech to countless young men and guided them on acceptable gifts for women they have just started dating, women they have been dating a while, and women they intend to marry.  At some point, the conversation always got silly.

"Hey Bob, how are you doing today?"
"Great Sandee, I just wanted to ask your advice.  Valentine's Day is coming up and I need to get Greta a gift."
"Umm.  Yeah, you do."
"So, I'm thinking about this?  What do you think?"
"Bob, that's a nice snowblower, but how long have you and Greta been dating?"
"Going on four years now."
"Then I have a better suggestion for you..."

There is a point in a relationship when a guy should no longer need to vet his purchases with the office mother confessor.  If a guy has been dating a gal for four years, then he has a bigger decision to make than flowers or chocolates (or both!)  After that amount of time invested, I think a guy should be marrying his girlfriend.  At least asking... that's when I developed the "Diamond of a Carat or More" speech.

Whenever a kid asked me, I always took them seriously and gave the most sage advice I could muster.

"Well, sure, she might love to have tickets to ComicCon for your anniversary."
"If you spend a lot of time hunting, then a new thirty ought six might really make her happy."

But when a guy who knew better--a married guy, or one of the bosses--showed up asking the same question, then I always said (very loudly):

"A Diamond of a Carat or More is Always an Acceptable Gift!"

Then they left me alone.  So, it was a win-win as far as I was concerned.  If they bought that girl a crappy present, it could not come back to haunt me.  Youngsters need training and guidance.  Some guys just know better.  Valentine's Day is coming up, boys.  If you want my advice, give me a call.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Ren said...

The best gift I ever got for V-Day was the year my DH surprised me with a contractor to remodel our bathroom. I HATE jewelry, but promise me home repairs and I swoon. Oh, and books.*gets that far away look in her eyes*

Yeah, a good book is always a good idea.

RD

Unknown said...

Ren,

You are so EASY!! Tune into HGTV for a little mood setting and take a girl to Home Depot. The ecstasy, the thrill!! I am with you. I'd rather have something permanent than a bunch of dead flowers. But I do love the sparkly things! I'm like a crow. I love jewelry, but I don't want the expensive stuff. I want stuff that I won't be afraid to wear everyday. That's me. Semiprecious stones all the way. spw

Marilyn said...

We don't Valentine's (or birthdays, anniversaries or Christmas, usually) (we were too poor when we were young and never got into the habit).

Though there was the time I fell in love with an emerald and diamond ring. It was pricey, but considering that we'd been married 13 years and I hadn't gotten an anniversary gift since the first one, Bob got it for me. I still love it, but rarely wear it. Don't want to risk a stone falling out or having to defend it from a thief.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I have never wanted to own jewelry that would be worth more than my life! I'm glad you have a pretty piece... but since you didn't have a daughter, who's going to get it when you go?? spw

Marilyn said...

Interesting question. I hadn't really thought about that. Maybe Cam will marry a pretty redhead who loves emeralds!

Unknown said...

Good Answer!! I was going to offer, but as long as you've got hopes of another redhead in your life... HA!! All my DILs and my daughter don't wear gold. The other day I was looking at my good jewelry which is almost all gold thinking, I sure hope one of my grandgirls can wear gold! spw