Chunking Things

Monday, February 15, 2010

Don't be in a hurry--it never pays

This morning, I had an appointment at a doctor's office 'clear across town'.  Then I had a volunteer orientation two hours later on my side of town.  So, since I had some place to be... the doctor's appointment went long.  I'll admit it, I broke the equipment.  I always make computers break down.  It's a gift.

When I left the doctor's office, I had about twenty minutes to get all the way to the other side of town.  So, I looked at the mapped path on my GPS and took off.  I was making good time, too, until I hit the construction zone.  Which appears to be the entire extent of Mid-Town.  I almost rammed a woman who wanted to go left across three lanes of traffic choked by construction.  I was chanting, "turn right and take the next light; turn right and take the next light".  She didn't.

I'm lucky I didn't get pulled over.  I rushed around, took a different route that took me about three miles out of my way, then whipped back and got to the meeting about 12 minutes late.  I apologized to the nice lady who met me at the door and told her that I was there for orientation... and I was late.  She just looked puzzled and told me they only had orientation on Wednesdays.

So, I rushed across town for nothing.  Because this non-profit's website has a flawed calendar.  I want to be calm about it.  I want to not be angry.  It's a non-profit.  Probably a volunteer does their website calendar.  But I can't get past that rush across town... for nothing.

I'm trying to work myself up to go back to the website and find the NEXT orientation.  It's a good cause.  I should volunteer...  Maybe they need someone to do their website??

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

I think taking over the website would be a very *good* idea!!

Unknown said...

Em, I don't actually have the skills to do a website, but I sure want to offer to organize a little. Hopefully, I can get involved and hammer a few nails, paint a few walls and help out a little. spw