Chunking Things

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Sunday

I don't spend a lot of time following football. I treat it the same way I treat the ballet, "Cool, men in spandex!" It's all about the butts. Really. Second only to spandex clad men is men in kilts. But I digress.

I watch the superbowl with the same enthusiasm that I'll watch any football game. First question, "who are we cheering for?" Second question, "why?" Lacking any real reason to select one group over the other, I pick the underdog. I listen to the sportscasters talking about the match-up and then choose the one that they don't think has a chance. It works for me.

Then I generally spend the whole game saying, "who am I cheering for again? What color shirts do they have?"

What I love is the camaradarie. I love that the crowd is enthusiastic, but I have NO desire to be there in the stadium watching it live. I don't much like crowds. For some reason, in the back of my brain, there's always some disaster and then all those people stampeding trying to get out... creepy.

Watching a game on TV, with commentary, explanation and a good view without the cold weather and crappy seats seems like a huge bonus to me. One of the things I've always enjoyed about football is watching with my sons and listening to their reasons behind why each team does things. My son explained why the Colts defenders were all small and fast and the other team's were all huge and slow. I never knew. It gave me a great appreciation for Tony Dungy and his thinking. Seeing it played out while the boys explained it, well, I wouldn't have seen it without their analysis.

So, I'm looking forward to the game today. Peyton Manning is my son Jake's favorite, so I'll root for the Colts. One of my dearest friends will probably be Facebooking "Who Dat?" since she's a huge Saints fan. But really, what I'll be watching is the man butts. In spandex.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Ren said...

Thank God for spandex.

I read that football uniforms were designed to exaggerate the traits in men that women find appealing in mates-like visual pheromones.

So spandex and football pads= women in high heels and short dresses.I think football uniforms should be standard "date wear" like dresses are for women.

What do you think?

RD

Unknown said...

I am a huge fan of men in spandex. I didn't know that it appealed to me like pheromones. I kind of like that. spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

And Peyton Manning is not a bad one to look at in the spandex!!!

Twisted Sister Meg said...

I love football when my teams are playing, or my kids. Having my son explain things makes the game more interesting.

I've always wanted to own a football team so all those butts belonged to me. OK...bad joke. Nice fantasy!

Unknown said...

Peyton looks pretty good in spandex, I'll give you that Kimmee. I'm sorry that the Colts didn't do better on Sunday. Oh well. Next year. spw

Unknown said...

Meg,

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person who does better when someone explains the plays to them! Every time I see them TRY to run up the middle and not even make it past the line of scrimmage, I need someone to tell me why they even USE that play!! spw