Chunking Things

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

MRI versus CAT scan

This morning, I went for a CAT scan of my sinuses. My ENT recommended it to eliminate the possibility of 'mechanical problems' before he sends me off for allergy testing. I was not looking forward to this test at all.

The last test I can remember was an MRI they did of my abdomen a few years ago. If you like being stuck in a casket while a jackhammer goes off around your head for 45 minutes, then an MRI is for you.

The CAT scan took about five minutes and was so quiet I could hear myself breathe. I'm not sure what the different scans are for. I don't know why a doctor would order one over the other. I'm almost positive the last time I had these tests run, I had both done. So surely they look at tissue and bone in a different way. That said, CAT scans win hands down.

In an MRI you lay on the table and they wheel it into a tube where you're trapped for a very long (it feels long) time. I've heard of folks freaking out--and it doesn't surprise me in the least. It's cramped, nothing to look at, and then the jackhammering starts.

I've been having a lot of sinus infections with accompanying sinus headaches and I woke with one full blown this morning. If they had wheeled me into an MRI, my head would probably have exploded from the noise. Instead, I was treated to a soft whirring as the table wheeled in and out of the ring, and then it was done. I still have a headache, but at least it wasn't hammered into my skull.

In my book, CAT scans win hands down. Less time. Less noise. Less fuss. No undressing. Except, I had to take out my earrings and take my glasses off. On a scale of intrusive to not: this was way over on the "Not" side. Hopefully, it will tell my doctor something positive. Here's hoping.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Ren said...

Hey Sandee-

Sorry your sinuses are giving you hell. The next time I see you will you have a cool new voice to go along with your illness? :-)

I think a CT or CAT scan is for seeing inside the bones or within bony structures while an MRI is to see inside the tissues, like the different spaces of the brain or lung-different lobes and stuff.

If you really want a trip have something fun like a bronchoscopy or heart cath. With drugs they're no fun, but straight will scare the bejesus out of you.

RD

Marilyn said...

Ugh, Sandee, I'm with you. I had a CAT scan once -- took a few minutes, no noise, no looming machine, just a little cartoon face telling me when to hold my breath and when to breathe again.

My doc MRI'ed both my knees -- first forty minutes with one, a couple minutes to switch the blocks and stuff, then forty minutes with the other. I didn't even get to stand up and stretch. And the tech had music blasting so it could be heard over the machine, which just about rattled my bones from their sockets.

I've always like small, enclosed spaces, but I almost had a panic attack from that.

Hope they find out what's wrong and get it fixed! Can't have you falling apart on us!

Unknown said...

Ren,

If ONLY. If I thought they'd figure it out that easily, I'd be in alt. I figure I've got a bunch of allergy testing in my future!

My theory is that I don't sweat ANYTHING they'll put me to sleep for, I only angst over the stuff I have to stay awake for. Like when they did the nerve block for my shoulder surgery with that freakishly LONG needle. Blech.

spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I never thought I had problems with small confined spaces until my two MRIs. I pretty much have difficulties with that level of noise and pounding. And I'm more than half deaf! I can't imagine how hard it is for someone with good ears.

spw

Unknown said...

MRIs aren't too terrible when you get one of the offices/machines that slap the headphones on you and ask you what FM channel you like to listen to... but when it's just you and the pounding, ALWAYS ask for ear plugs. They keep drawers of them around and will gladly give you a pair. At last count I'm at 4 MRIs (soft tissue checks) and one CT (when they thought my migraines might be "a tuma").

Unknown said...

Zack, I've never had an MRI where they allowed me to wear anything on my head! I would have loved some earplugs... so loud and obnoxious. Of course, it may be that the equipment was a little old here! spw