Chunking Things

Monday, April 19, 2010

Avocados For Breakfast

I lived in Southern California for two years.  In the small hilly neighborhood where we lived, there were several corporate farms.  In season, we could get fresh strawberries and avocados on the side of the road, dirt cheap.  They sold off the tiny avocados, that they wouldn't sell to stores, in huge bundles for a couple bucks.  More work, but way cheaper.

When I could get twenty small Haas for less than five bucks, I got into some interesting habits.  Don't get me wrong, I made a lot of homemade guacamole.  I'm good at that.  But also, I started eating avocado for breakfast.

I'm a constant dieter.  My whole life, I have been a few pounds overweight.  Lately, more than a few.  I've tried all kinds of diets and eating plans and I've come to the realization that I'm kind of a sugar addict or carbohydrate abuser.  So I'm trying to cut down on ingesting those, and increase my intake of vegetables.

I'm at the point in my life when breakfast is not a social occasion where I spend a few harried minutes feeding a brood.  Now, I sit quietly for a half an hour, drinking my hot tea and making myself happy.  And one of the things that makes me happy is a nice avocado.

I slit them open, pop out the seed with a sharp knife, salt it and scoop it out with a spoon.  Breakfast is done, I'm happy and only two pieces of silverware are dirty.  It's a win-win situation in my home.  I'm sure someone out there is shaking his head about the natural fat in an avocado and it's affect on my cholesterol.  So, I'll assure you that my cholesterol is normal, has never been high, and that is not my health worry.

Managing to replace some kind of processed food with a natural fruit or vegetable is something I'll take any day.  It's a good breakfast.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Nancy from Mansfield, tx said...

I think that sounds like a great breakfast. People get too narrow minded about breakfast food. One of the people I know from the former USSR eats soup for breakfast, Vietnamese often eat rice, and my Mom loves a hot dog with mustard. My granddaughter has bad asthma and often has Miso soup or boullion with her morning meal.

Whatever starts that crank a grinding.

Unknown said...

And it's so easy too! I don't think it's any different from eating fruit, but more satisfying for me.