Chunking Things

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Scrabbilicious

I've started playing Scrabble with a couple of my friends and family on Facebook.  I have to admit, it'd be more fun if it was a little faster, but I do enjoy using my brain for a few moments at a time.  I have some friends who'll play a single game, one move a day... others who have smart phones and will put out words several times a day during their breaks at work.

My DIL asked for an actual Scrabble board game for her birthday and I was happy to oblige.  I got her the Diamond Edition in the self storing board.  The game has a built in lazy susan and a grid that keeps the tiles in place as you spin the game around the table.  As soon as she opened the gift, we started a game.  My son, my darling DIL, my best friend and me started a game of Scrabble.

BFF and DIL play each other every day, via smart phone on Facebook.  My son and I played it while he was growing up.  When we got to the table, the play was so distinct, it was fascinating.

BFF and DIL were impetuous.  They didn't want to wait while son and I took our time studying our word choices and adding up the different values depending on which play we made.  The phone based players are SO impatient.  They see a word and play and submit.  They don't give a moment of time thinking about strategy or blocking other plays. 

Darling son and I were weighing our choices and counting scores in our head... and driving them CRAZY!  The smart phone players were so fidgety.  If we had had one of those chess timers, they'd have been hitting the bell.  At one point in time, my DIL offered to get an egg timer they could set to 'speed us up'.  Amazing.  The Internet has created so many opportunities for people to connect.  It seems strange to factor in the downside of immediacy.

We are so fortunate today.  This generation has benefited from the great strides in technology.  But the downside is, they have attention spans of a gnat.  I know.  I played Scrabble with some.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Susan said...

Scrabble on Facebook? Cool. I gotta find out about this.

Unknown said...

It's pretty fun. Tell me when you load the app and I'll challenge you to a game. spw