Chunking Things

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Opposites and Their Messages

Sometimes, two very different people can pass a similar message.  We see it when politicians across party lines work in a bipartisan manner to pass some legislation.  Often, we experience the same message coming from two different people in different industries.

I have mentioned before that I'm an inveterate HGTV watcher.  One of the shows that generally teaches me something is Holmes on Homes.  This contractor goes in when a homeowner has been screwed over by their contractor and he "makes it right".  He disassembles the bad workmanship and points out how it was done incorrectly, then has it done correctly by the experts or his crew.  He rails on contractors who don't get the permits, don't do it right the first time, and don't stand by their work.

On a completely opposite tack, on the Lifetime network, there's Project Runway and Tim Gunn.  Tim Gunn serves as the PR mentor for the designers as they work through the clothing design challenges.  He walks through, checks on their work and makes recommendations.  When he's concerned about them completing a task on time, or making something look fabulous from less than wonderful beginnings, he says "make it work."

I've given a lot of thought to the differences between these two men.  One is a big, honkin' weightlifter of middle age and northern European extraction.  He's deliberate, thoughtful and a linear thinker.  The other is a tidy, effeminate and a true urban dweller.  He's charming, enthusiastic and a creative thinker.  Both of them encourage everyone around them to do it right and make it right.

I cannot think of two more opposite types giving the same message to a distinctly different crowd.  It's funny to me that they both resonate with me.  I'd like to sit down and have a beer with Mike Holmes.  I'm sure I'd have to have a cosmo with Tim Gunn, but either man would be a fascinating companion.  I really appreciate both their viewpoints, on their wildly disparate topics.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

That is so true! I love Holmes on Homes, that show is so neat. I don't watch HGTV as much as I used too, but that's because the shows I like were so repetitive...

Marilyn said...

I don't have cable or satellite, so I don't get to watch HGTV at all. {{Pouting}}

I do like the message, though. And God knows, it's one that people need to hear again and again.

Unknown said...

Emm,

I find myself really LOOKING at Mike Holmes. I don't know if it's those overalls, the manly guns or the short haircut. I don't usually find blonds interesting... but Holmes keeps my interest! 8)

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I would think that you'd be as addicted to HGTV and the Food Network as I am. I flip back and forth between those two channels almost exclusively.

Marilyn said...

Whenever someone's in the hospital, I turn the TV to the Food Network then refuse to give up the remote. I'd watch it 18 hours a day if I could.

That's why we don't have a satellite anymore. (The last one got struck by lightning.) If I had more than the basic free channels, I'd spend a whole lot more time in front of the TV and a whole lot less getting anything done.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

You crack me up!! I generally don't turn on the TV until I'm done with what I have to do each day...