Chunking Things

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stump Grinding

Over the weekend, I helped my daughter cut out a very invasive bush that was taking over her front yard.  She had cut it down before and it had come back bigger and thicker than ever.  I suggested that when we cut it down this time, we dig out the stumps and cut off the roots.  Hopefully, that would get it gone.

Well, we chainsawed down all the limbs and foliage.  Then we started digging.  We cut a few of the roots and pulled out some hunks, but what we discovered were roots the thickness of my thighs.  HUGE roots connecting these bushes.  No wonder it kept coming back.

After hours of mucking about trying to make some headway, my darling SIL suggested we give it up and get the stumps ground professionally.  I'd just had that done in my yard and I told them what it cost me.  They were enthusiastic about hiring it done.  We cleaned up, got dressed in dry clothes and went out to dinner.  Over drinks, we made plans for next steps.  SIL would call some tree services for estimates the next day.  On payday, they'd have it done.  Then the hole would be filled and grass seed thrown over the bare spot.  Done.

When he polled his friends on Facebook for a tree service or stump grinder they recommended in the area, he got all kinds of smart aleck responses.  First they accused him of trying to hire and amputee stripper, but I digress.  One of his friends recommended that instead of hiring it done, he rent a stump grinder and take it out himself.

Oh. Man.  I cannot tell you what a bad idea this is.  This is one of those "you think you'll save money" but you never do situations.  Stump grinders are big pieces of equipment.  Most are wheeled or tracked and have small motors that drive the wheels with a chain or shaft.  In moist earth, I've seen them founder and get stuck.  It took four men to pull the last one out of our yard.  And it left trenches almost a foot deep where the wheels ate into the soil.  One day's rental of a piece of large equipment is seldom less than $75.  If you had 5 stumps to grind, I'd say rent a machine.  And then secure the help of four of your buddies, just in case.  But for one stump, in very moist ground?  Hire the service.  It will be cheaper for a single stump.  And it will be done right and quickly.

There are lots of things that I recommend doing instead of hiring people to do.  But this is not one of them.  Here's hoping they get the stump ground and get on with their lives.

--Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

Zack and Kimmee said...

Oooohhhh, and Craig is not a handy-man!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't even want your dad running a stump grinder after seeing it work. Way too much trouble. spw

Emmylee said...

@ZK - Very true, Craig is not a handy man... after working from home all day, he came out to the yard just in time to keep me from killing myself (I really want that freaking thing GONE!)... He says he came outside to help, but I'm not so sure... LOL

Unknown said...

@ZK, he was VERY helpful. He ran to the store to buy tools for us. I just don't want him running a stump grinder.

Craig C. Calvin said...

I tell ya, I feel the love here.

Emmylee said...

@Craig - as well you should. You are VERY loved by this family--especially me.

grinder said...

stump grinder rental If you recently cut down a tree and are looking to remove the stump for a low cost you can rent a tree stump remover for the day and chop up all of the stumps.