Chunking Things

Monday, April 5, 2010

Customer Service is Dead

There are moments in time when I think that if customer service ever existed here, then it's dead and buried.

I kenneled my dogs over the weekend.  More than kenneled, really, I had their checkups, all their shots, they spent four nights and I had the groomer shave them down for the hot weather.  You can imagine what all this cost for two big dogs.  Over $500.00.

When I dropped them off last week, I told the attendant at the kennel that I was picking them up on Monday.  She asked when, I said, "Monday afternoon".  She said fine.  She didn't specify a "no earlier than" time, or a "no later than" time.  So I left town and didn't give it any more thought.

When I drove back to Tulsa today, I hit town at 1:30 pm.  That's afternoon, right?  I went to the door of the kennel where I left the dogs (and have picked them up before).  It was locked.  There was a small buzzer, so I rang it.  There was no sign 'be right back', there were no posted hours or indications that someone would be coming back.  WTH?  I banged on the doors.  I wanted my dogs back.

After standing outside with a couple of other customers for more than fifteen minutes, a technician finally walked over and unlocked the door and let us into the kennel office.  She wouldn't help us.  She said she just did the 'doggie day care'.  I insisted that she call and have someone come over to help us.  She played dumb.  Now, I hate that.  If you're wearing the uniform, you represent the company.  Even if it's not your job, help the customer.  It's just good business.

After playing completely ignorant, she called someone from the other building and asked them to come over--but only after I insisted she do so.  A young gentleman rushed in, dropped into the desk chair, and started typing on the computer, but by this time, two other customers has bailed out.  They'd taken their dogs and gotten back in their cars and left.  So, it's not just me being demanding and sensitive.

This guy tapped and tapped and finally said something was wrong with the computer.  Then he rushed out of the office, back to the other building.  So, there I was standing inside the locked office, holding a couple of empty leashes and looking at my wristwatch.  So far, 45 minutes have passed since I arrived.  Still no dogs.

While I stood there, wondering if I should try to fix the computer myself, a gal walked in from the back of the office.  She had a big plate of cake and was wiping frosting off her mouth.  So, break time.  She immediately asked me if I was there to pick up Chip and Sophie.  I said, "Yes!" and thought, "finally, someone who can help me."  She got real snippy with me and told me that Chip was done but Sophie wasn't done yet.  I'd have to come back.  So, at going on an hour invested, I find out that the dogs are not done.  And apparently, I'd interrupted her break with my annoying checkbook.

I looked at this gal (I was assuming she was the groomer, but I could be wrong) who was acting way too busy to help me.  Once again, no identification or offering to help.  She told me that Sophie wasn't done.  Then she went on to tell me that dogs are ready to be picked up from the kennel after 1:00 but if they were having grooming service (like mine) then it takes longer.  I informed her that I had ASKED when to pick them up and was told 'the afternoon.'  Then I pointed out that it was, in fact, AFTERNOON.  Could she specify how much longer she needed?  It was like pulling teeth.  With no novacaine.

Before I left, I told this gal that they had lost at least two customers and if they weren't going to be opening the door, they should put up a sign and direct people to the building next door.

So, I left.  I came home, unpacked, started some laundry.  I ate a meal and THEN I went back.  When I got there, they had erected a sign.  So I went to the right place, at least.  Then I asked for my dogs.  They told me they'd bring them right up, but that the vet wanted to speak to me.  Could I wait until he wasn't busy?  Really?  They wanted me to wait some more?  They wanted me to wait some more now that they had my $500.00.

I told them I'd wait for five minutes, but no more.  My nerves were frayed and I was already frustrated with their significant lack of customer service.  They let me take the dogs into a small exam room to wait for the vet.  He came quickly, I'll give him that.  Then he gave me a quick rundown on the pups. 

He wanted me to spend a bunch more money... So, I gave him my patented response:  were the dogs suffering pain?  If so, we could just put them down.  I don't want them in pain.  But I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on medicine for a thirteen year old dog that someone else threw away.  I'm pretty sure the vet got it.  He suggested a $350 surgery for Sophie to remove a small tumor forming on her eyelid.  You needed a magnifying glass to see the little bump.  I asked him if it was pressing on anything or causing any pain?  No.  But it might.  I told him that Sophie was the kind of dog that someone threw into the bed of the pickup truck while you were in Walmart shopping, not the kind of dog someone did cosmetic surgery on.  He was appalled at my response.

I am not getting nominated for Pet Owner of The Year.

But neither is this vet and kennel getting recommended to my friends.  Sheez.  How hard is it to staff your business?  Answer your doors and phones?  It's going to be harder when your customers start trickling away.  Like me.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

TAM said...

note to self: Precisely what time should I pick up my dogs?

Obviously AFTERnoon is not specific enough.

Frustrating end to a lovely weekend.

xoxo

Unknown said...

I know, Tam. It was very upsetting and I had been so calm. Of course when I was almost sideswiped by a crazy person on the Indian Nation Turnpike, it did raise my blood pressure. So maybe I wasn't in a Zen-like state when I arrived in Tulsa... spw

Susan said...

LOL, Sandee. You have me in stitches. That's hilarious. Please tell us next time you have a doggie appointment so I can be there to watch.
And if you need me to help, we can go back and kick a little a**!

Marilyn said...

Sandee, let me give you recommendations for a new vet. Since every pupper who makes it to us is ailing, we have seen a lot of them.

Truth is, customer service is a thing of the past. When I find an employee who is actually helpful, I'm so surprised. I've had them walk away from me mid-conversation to take a phone call or chat with someone or wait on someone who apparently didn't ask as many difficult questions as I did.

I think my worst-ever experience was at a computer store. I told the sales guy which copier I wanted to buy, and he looked me over from head to toe and said, "You can't afford it." And walked away.

I went down the street to the next computer store, told that sales guy, and he was happy as a puppy to ring it up for me.

The first store was out of business within a few months. Gee, wonder why???

Shane Andrews said...

Sandee, that was completely hilarious. I'd be upset too if that happened to me. Maybe I've done even worst more that what you've done! LOL!Why do some people can't even understand just a simple instruction???Really frustrating.

I remember one time we went to eat at a new sports bar around the corner. The food was okay but the service was slow. 45 minutes after we had finished eating and drinking everything on the table, we still did not have our check. I went up to the bar and told the barmaid that she had 30 seconds to produce our bill or we were leaving. Oh how fast the waitress suddenly reappeared! No tip was left. That's for them to realize how important quality customer service is.

Unknown said...

Shane,

Thanks for stopping by! When I wrote this, I don't even think I was trying to be funny. I was so mad, steam was shooting out of my ears.

I have found that Just Standing Up and donning my jacket, shouldering my purse is often enough to bring a wanted check to the table...

It's crazy. I lived in the Houston area for 7 years and comparatively, we had the BEST customer service in the world. That would never happen in a restaurant down there--too many of them and they're too competitive. spw