Chunking Things

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring and the Wind

One of the things I like most about Oklahoma is the wind.  I've always said that I can stand any temperature as long as the air is moving.  I like a breeze.  In OK, you get that in spades.

We have a 10-15 mph breeze every single day, and some days, like today, we have really windy weather that gives us 40 mph gusts.  When that happens, the weather takes on a animalistic persona.  It sounds like a beast wailing or moaning.

I'm sure that different people experience the sounds relative to their yard and trees, and how 'tight' their home or windows are.  But when the wind blows like this and the trees bend and creak, it's always exciting to me.

Yes, I have to chase the light stuff across my yard and store it out of the way.  Yes, the dogs get freaked out and whine at the back door begging to come in.  But still, I enjoy it.  This day is not like every other day.  It's blowing briskly.  Anything could happen.  In fiction, it often does.  A day like today brought Mary Poppins to two desperately unhappy children.  A day like today, blew up trouble for Dorothy in Kansas.

For me, it means listening to the sounds and enjoying the fact that for once, I'm ahead of the game.  I had the arborists take all the deadfall down two weeks ago.  So, no worrying about dead branches winging down to hit me in the head!

--Sandee Wagner

3 comments:

Susan said...

Something I noticed when I lived in Punkin Center was that the wind turned people off more than rain storms.
I even read that back in the '30's the awful dust and sand storms, caused by the blowing winds, was the reason women killed their entire families.
And the wind turns me into Medusa.
Bwahahaha.

Unknown said...

I've heard that too, Susan! The howling wind across the prairie and over the dugout windows drove people mad. It's more likely to make me want to go out and face the coming storms! spw

Marilyn said...

I love the wind. Love it!

Not long ago I was reading about windmill power, and this site said it wasn't beneficial for most residences because the average number of windy-enough days for houses in the US is something like three.

Snort. If we have three days a month when the wind ISN'T blowing up here. Most of the trees in our yard grow to the southeast because of the winds blowing from the northwest.