Chunking Things

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Closet Clearance

I saw another one of those shows this morning.  You know the one.  Someone who purports to 'love you' sends your name to a designer who comes to your home unannounced and looks through your clothes and your closet.

This one had a little different schtick in that they also redesigned your closet along with your look.  It was kind of a 'what not to wear' combined with 'get organized' or maybe 'hoarders'.  I'm not sure.  I have questions about these types of shows.  First, if someone loves you, would they really submit your name?  Second, if you are truly resistant to the makeover, does the show never air?

I've got an ongoing battle with one of my DILs.  I told her I'd never do 'What Not To Wear' regardless of the $5,000 new wardrobe and trip to the city.  Those two are just mean.  Tim Gunn does his "Guide To Style" show and he does the same kind of style makeover but gently and with kindness.  Tim Gunn can come make me over, but never the WNTW folks.

This newest show was on HGTV and is called Closet Case.  The designer wasn't as nice as Tim Gunn but he also wasn't as mean as the WNTW duo.  I'd love to have my closet redesigned, but I'm not sure I want it enough to have someone come paw through my fashion choices and see what truly dreadful taste I really have.

Because I do have dreadful taste.

I very seldom go clothes shopping on my own.  I really need a good friend who will say, "put that back".  When I get into a department store or boutique, my magpie tendencies are ascendant.  I love all things sequined, beaded and shiny!  If it's gem-encrusted, then I NEED it.  In a big way.  My closet is full of fashion faux pas.  But don't send my name in.  I really don't want to throw away my stuff.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Susan said...

Before WNTW came to America, there was one on the BBC. (At least I think it was before the American one.)
I don't believe they're they make it anymore, but I REALLY liked it.
It had two women who did the show, and while they weren't sickeningly sweet, they weren't mean, either.
Well, not too mean.
I think their point was to teach a person how to shop and buy what was needed. Not just the SOS.
I've bought several of their books because they do have some good ideas.
If you get a chance, try out that show.
BTW: I like sparkles, too. All the little girls love my sparklies.

Unknown said...

Susan,

I've never seen the British version of the show, but it HAS to be nicer than the American version. I switch channels almost upon contact because of some of the awful things they say. I'll look on the BBC for reruns. Thanks for the intel! Maybe you'll let me glance through your books?? spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

OOOhhh, SHINEY!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Zack, and left to my own devices, my home would look like a whorehouse. Laugh it up, you're going to inherit this stuff. spw

Marilyn said...

I've never seen the American show, but I did like the Brit girls much better. Wouldn't let them tell me how to dress -- I wasn't that fond of their own looks -- but they didn't annoy me. The woman on the American show . . . my teeth are grinding. She's EVERYWHERE, and everything about her sets my nerves on edge.

Take Susan shopping with you. Whenever I look good, the credit goes to her. And she's not at all mean about it.

Unknown said...

Marilyn, That's a really good idea. I can get Susan to schlep around with me and smack my hand when I reach for inappropriate clothing. I don't need no stinkin' designer!! spw