Chunking Things

Friday, April 9, 2010

Reality TV

For several years, I wondered about the popularity of reality TV.  Survivor results were reported on the news, like well, news.  I didn't watch American Idol.  I could care less who raced across the globe or did crazy scary things.  It never appealed to me.  I've always said that I'd rather read a good book than watch bad TV.

All that changed for me a couple years ago.  One of my friends at work lamented the fact that, having cut off her cable as a cost saving measure, she'd be unable to watch her favorite reality show's second season.  Without knowing what the show was, I told her she could watch it at my house each week.

I think it never dawned on me that she'd take me up on the offer.  The first week, I was surprised when the doorbell rang, but I gamely tuned in the first episode of the second season of Project Runway.  In this show, you follow a bunch of wannabe designers as they do one day challenges, trying to make haute couture out of whatever the judges deem possible.  Sometimes they are to be 'inspired' by architecture, museum exhibits or the circus.  Sometimes they are to find all their 'materials' in a hardware store.  Always, what they present walking down the runway has to impress real designers and industry mavens.

At first, it was about the construction.  My friend and I both sew, so when some youngster showed they not only had the vision, but the ability to tailor that vision into a wearable garment, we were duly impressed.  I complained about the interviews and all the dramatics.  My friend, a former TV producer, explained the conflict and the personalities as the story arc for the season.

Then, I began to look at this reality TV show as fiction.  Even though it's not fiction, it's actually orchestrated in such a way as to have the story arc of a fiction.  Highs and lows are created, heroes and villains are shown on camera.  All the drama, all the time.

My friend has moved from Tulsa, but we've continued to 'meet' on our laptops and chat our way through the show each week via instant messenger.  It's a fun way to keep in touch with a dear friend.  And really, it's all about the fashion.

--Sandee Wagner

No comments: