Chunking Things

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hormones and Me

I have known for some time that my body was changing. I was surgically forced into menopause and depended on hormone replacement therapy for a couple of years. When it quit working on my one and only symptom (hot flashes), I quit using the hormones.

I had the traditional complaints. Weight gain, dry skin, memory loss and no energy. I tried everything I could to lose the weight. I went Vegan for six months. I walked three miles daily. I counted calories. I kept a food journal. I read labels. I quit using foods with chemical additives and went organic.

Nothing worked. I started chatting with my sisters and other family members asking what their experiences were with menopause. Oh! The stories I heard. Seems like some of this stuff is pervasive. When I started really researching the medical impacts, I found out that almost all of my blood related female family members ended up on some kind of thyroid medication after the change of life. WHAT??

Yeah. That weight gain? Where I told people that it felt like my body just 'shut off'? Well, it apparently did. I went into my doctor's office and had a 'heart to heart' with my general practitioner. He ordered a bunch of blood work and lab tests. The end result? I need thyroid medicine AND hormones. But not estrogen. Testosterone.

That just blows my mind. Why would I need testosterone? When did they ever start testing women for that? I thought the only time a woman took testosterone is when she wanted to become a man... Imagine my surprise when I got the shot.

I don't know yet whether it will make my symptoms improve. I've heard from other women that their minds are clearer... I'm all for that. I'd like to get back to normal, whatever normal looks like now. I'd settle for just being able to maintain a healthy weight. I should know within the next three weeks if the thyroid treatment helps, and in the next couple of days if the hormones make me feel any better.

Keep your fingers crossed.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Your thyroid waited this long to give up? It runs in my family, too -- I've been on the meds for ten years or so, and it's not unusual for the women in our family to start needing them in their early 20s.

Hot flashes are the only menopausal thing that bother me -- I think. I've always been forgetful and fuzzy minded, so if it's worse now, I don't know 'cause I don't remember before. LOL.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I became so aphasic when menopause reared its ugly head... everyone has to finish my sentences now. The hot flashes were the worst symptom, but even that is minimal compared to some folks' experiences.

Emmylee said...

Testosterone - that's crazy!

I'm glad the doctors think they can help you though--better living through chemistry!

Zack and Kimmee said...

So glad you went in... the thyroid meds should help deal with the weight. At any rate, fingers crossed here that you are back to "normal" asap!

Unknown said...

Emm! I know. Who would have thought I needed bigger balls? Not me. spw

Unknown said...

Z&K,

I am very hopeful that this will make a difference for me. I'm down 18 lbs so far. If it improves my clarity, then it would definitely be worth the hassle. spw