Chunking Things

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Yard Work is Work

We're trying to get the yard back in shape after years of neglect. We paid for some help, but now the final planting and mulching is up to us.

This morning, we put on sunscreen, long sleeves and pants, hats and went out in 'attack mode'. You know you are working hard when you purchase mulch bags by the PALLET.

All I can say is that we bought more than one... and that there are 80 bags per pallet. My back is not thanking me right now. I think we're about halfway done.

But this brings me to my main point: yard work is work.

It's not relaxing. It's not a way to unwind. I don't feel better when I get my fingers into the soil. There's no feeling of freedom or job well done. It's just work. Like housework. It's never done. When you take your eyes off it, it gets messed up again.

I know there are people out there for whom yard work is a labor of love. I'm not that guy... This is hard work. It's sweaty, dirty work.

When we get done with this... there will be more. That's the way it goes. So, no stalling, no excuses. Tomorrow we get this done. Until next week, when it needs doing again.

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

That's a lot of mulch!! Take some ibuprofen before you start... and maybe some more at lunch and dinner!

I know it'll be gorgeous once you two are done with it!

Zack and Kimmee said...

It is work... and I watch in amazement everytime Jeff (neighbor) is out from early morning to late evening, I just say, "no, I don't love my yard that much!"

Unknown said...

Em,

It's so much mulch... you can't imagine. It will look good when we're done, though.

Let us know a good time for you and we'll load up the truck with firewood and drive to OKC for the day. spw

Unknown said...

Z&K - I agree, I don't do it for the love, I only want the result. And if it's a possibility that we have to put the house on the market at the end of the summer, then I want the yard to look great. spw

Marilyn said...

Wish I could trade off with you, Sandee. In summer, I'd much rather work out in the yard than do anything inside -- writing, house work, reading, etc. For me, looking good is just a side benefit; it's the work that counts. I can't tell you how many plot problems (or how much aggression) I've worked out while working in the yard.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

The only frustration I work out in the yard is my frustration at the yardwork...

We finished the flower beds in the back yard today. Now, I have one more big bed in the front yard that needs some work and we're calling it done. I'll buy some bushes or plants to fill in the blank spots. But for the most part, it's done now. spw