Chunking Things

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ahhh.... the drama

Anyone who has a family has some drama.

If you have aging parents, especially those with health issues, then you know the kind I mean.  If you have brothers and sisters all angling for a bit of your time and attention, then you get it.  Some of us have children and grandchildren and want to spend quality time catching up with them.

Then, when you add in the OTHER side of the family into the equation, there is a recipe for hijinx.  We have recently spent time with family members who are facing some inter-family squabbling.  Boy, is it hard not to get sucked into that!  You've gotta hold your tongue and not interject, because they ARE going to reconcile and anything negative you say will be remembered.

My family is driving me crazy.  My brothers and sisters agreed to a family reunion once every 5 years.  Now that it's time for the reunion, everyone is bailing out.  Who gets to tell the folks that no one's coming?  Will it be me?  I just got word that my parents are really looking forward to getting all the family pictures updated (we usually have a photographer at the reunion).  There are not enough families attending to make hiring a photographer feasible.  I don't want to be the one to tell them.

You can be disappointed in your family members.  And you can not LIKE them.  Or not like their actions.  But you've gotta love them.  They are your family after all.  You don't get to pick them.  You only get to love them.

I love my family.  I want to strangle half of them.  But I still love them.

--Sandee Wagner

1 comment:

su-su-cachew said...

Tell your mama on them. If she's a mom like mine (and like I aspire to be) she'll guilt them all into coming.
And that's what she needs to do.