Chunking Things

Saturday, May 8, 2010

I need the suit

My DH and I went to an early afternoon movie yesterday. Before the crowds and lines, we saw IronMan II. It was a great date--lunch and a movie.

The film was really tremendous. Sometimes a sequel to a successful movie is a bad idea. This time, I have to say, the second one might have been better than the first movie.

Action movies like this one really rely on the CGI for all the robot scenes. They did a really good job. Even when I was looking for it, I couldn't see where the animation stopped and the live action started. They've come a long way, baby.

The story of IronMan I has the rich, narcissistic playboy-businessman kidnapped and trapped in captivity by a bunch of terrorists. It's neat to watch him evolve and realize that he is, indeed, selling death to the bad guys. When he escapes and does good we all cheer for him.

In the second movie, he is still evolving and learning as a character. He hasn't lost his smartass-ness, or narcissism, but he does get some grounding with his trusty sidekick Pepper Pots, and his friend Col. Rhodes.

I know that this story is based on a highly successful comic book hero. But I love the idea of IronMan. I love the idea of being able to strap on a suit and having super powers. In the recent blockbuster, Avatar, the military 'walkers' were the tech that I coveted. Ever since seeing Ripley in Alien walk in that big loader suit, I wanted one of those strength enhancing frames.

It's one thing to want to save the world, it's another thing entirely to want to enhance your strength or abilities using some kind of combat frame. I wouldn't mind having the ability to walk without tiring, run long distances, or carry heavy loads. When I think about the future of robotics, I think that is more likely to be what we see. Some kind of suit based forklift or loader.

Of course, the weapons make them way cool. I need that suit.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Susan said...

So cool! When you find the store that sells them, let me know! I want one, too.
My kids teased me about getting a bionic hip. "When you run you'll go Nee-nee-nee-nee." (like the million dollar man)
So we're heading that way. Slowly but surely.

Unknown said...

Susan,

I totally agree. You can search the web and find some fascinating stuff. Someone has a framework for soldiers that helps them go farther with less fatigue. It just straps onto their legs and back like a brace. REALLY cool stuff. spw

Craig C. Calvin said...

http://io9.com/5533077/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-a-real-iron-man-suit

Unknown said...

Craig,

Why do you have to go rain on my parade?? I'll never get one until the number manufactured provides some economy of scale. spw