Chunking Things

Friday, May 7, 2010

Where's the feeling of accomplishment??

We finished the flower beds in the back yard today. Laid down newspapers and weedproof fabric and a thick layer of mulch on everything. We've got some blank spots where we'll need to fill in some bushes but for the most part, it's done.

I have one small bed in the front yard that still needs to be cleaned out and mulched. It has some major bush trimming that needs to be done first. And my family has taken away the chain saw. Apparently, I am not to be trusted with it.

I keep looking out the back windows, catching sight of the newly mulched beds and waiting for that feeling of accomplishment... but it's not coming. I'm not sure if that's because there's still one bed in the front yard, and therefore, the job is not done? Or if it's because it was so much work that I'm just freaking exhausted.

My knees are bruised from creeping along the ground holding down the fabric. My palms ache from pushing the pins in the ground. The tips of my fingers hurt from grabbing at the weeds and trying to pry the roots out...

I wore sunscreen so I didn't get burned, but that's about the only misery I'm not feeling. My thighs are sore from the squatting. My shoulders hurt from the tugging. I've been mainlining Ibuprophen for two days.

Where is that feeling of accomplishment? When do I get that feeling of 'job well done'?? I'm guessing it's at the point where I string up my hammock and settle in with a good book. Nothing short of that is going to work for me.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

susan said...

You'll get that feeling when you start enjoying everything. Without pain. Without anticipating work yet to be done.
And when you have a big party for all your RWI friends. ;)

Unknown said...

Susan,

That sounds like a plan. Some kind of big girl's night party when you can come early and admire my mulch. Maybe I should get some of the bushes in before anyone looks too closely... Right now, I'm just glad to have the weeds cleared and something down to block their growth! When we got back from CA some of the weeds were 6 ft high!

Emmylee said...

I'm sorry that Daddy took away your chainsaw... I think you can be trusted with it--I just want to be a good 10 feet away when you use it! And that goes for ANYBODY wielding a chainsaw!

Craig C. Calvin said...

What's that you say? Your loved ones don't trust you with a power tool? Well, boo-freakin'-hoo.

Unknown said...

Bitter? Party of one? Your table is ready, Craig.