Chunking Things

Monday, May 10, 2010

I Like A Storm

When you're on Facebook, you get a lot of random information from your friends and family. Most of the time, I scan through all the comments and just forget about them. Today is a blustery day in OK. We have a big storm system coming through and they've actually forecast tornadoes as a possibility.

On Fb, all the comments are about how 'down' people are because of the overcast skies. People affected with Seasonal Affective Disorder have an excuse when the sun doesn't shine. But there are a bunch more folks who just get down when they don't get daily sunshine.

That has NEVER been my problem. The sun is not my friend. I'm a pasty white redhead who has to avoid UV rays like the plague. When it's overcast, I'm happy. When it's stormy, I'm energized. I love to watch a storm blow in. I love the heavy clouds, the wind whipping up, and the sound and fury of a great cloudburst.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually want to be out in it. I don't wish to be wet and cold. I really like to watch the blow from some sort of overhang. We've actually put lawn chairs in the garage and kept the door open to enjoy a good gale. I'm thinking my dream house would have a wrap around porch. I'd like to be able to watch from comfy lawn chairs without risking my neck.

I've lived in hurricane country, if the law says evacuate, I go. I don't party on the beach while a real storm comes in. Mother Nature is a cruel bitch and storms can kill you. I do take shelter when the weatherman says to. But otherwise, I like to watch the downpour.

So, today, I'm not posting all about how depressed I am. I'm watching the local weathermen and looking out at the wind as it whips up my trees. It's going to be a big storm and I can't wait.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

I totally agree!! I had a blast checking out the storms in our area--granted, we had a tornado touch down a mile away, so it had creepy moments...

Susan said...

Emmylee--do you live near OKC? Scary down there yesterday. Glad you're okay.
I usually enjoy a good storm (as long as I'm safe and dry) but yesterday I was at work and we have a herd of scardy cats. I hate listening to them worry about blowing away. It's only wind, folks.
According to indian lore (folk tales or maybe just big fat liars) in our town, which sits below a hill and in the bend of the river, we're safe! A tornado will never hit us.

Unknown said...

Em, your part of town attracts tornadoes. You had one last time. Is there a vortex or mobile home park attracting the funnels?

Unknown said...

Susan,

That's exceptionally good geology when you think about wind and how a storm like that moves. The old indians might be right. I'm glad to think of you as 'sheltered'.